5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Landing Light Performance

Post by Rich »

MichaelM wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:14 am
So for me. Beacon on always. Strobes go on as soon as they can without being a nuisance to others. If it's a bright day out and no one is around I turn them on right away. If its darker or there are a lot of people close to me, I generally turn them on as soon as I am away from others... but for sure before taking a runway.

Seems like 91.209(b) would permit that, leaving it up to the pilot's judgment. I am curious as to what others have been instructed...
I once owned a Cherokee that had both a feeble rotating red beacon on the tail and a separate strobe underneath. But AFAIK all Diamonds have wingtip strobes of one for anti-colliion lights. What in your mind is a "beacon" that is always on?

The reg says while operating, which does include ground operations. Turning it off in IMC at night can be necessary. I hear this thing about turning off on the ground because of annoyance to others, but that is hardly a real safety issue. Others' strobes never bother me nor has anyone ever asked me to turn mine off.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
MichaelM
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N412ML
Airports: KFSD Y14 KBZN

Post by MichaelM »

Rich wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:13 pm What in your mind is a "beacon" that is always on?
As you point out, there are generally two types of anti-collision lights. There is the Red Flashing Beacon (often atop the tail) and then White Strobes (often on the wingtips). I should mention that my DA 62 doesn't show up until November. So I suppose my comments really apply to all of the other aircraft I have flown, which have all had both. Does the DA 62 not have a red beacon on the tail or belly (or elsewhere)?

Also for folks that are curious... In addition to CFR 14 91.209, AC 91-73B has additional guidance on the matter under section 7(h)(2). Use of Exterior Aircraft Lights to Make Aircraft More Conspicuous.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/med ... 91-73B.pdf
(2) Exterior Lights. To the extent possible and consistent with aircraft equipage,
operating limitations, and pilot procedures, pilots should illuminate exterior lights as follows:

(a) Engines Running. Turn on the rotating beacon whenever an engine is running.

(b) Taxiing. Prior to commencing taxi, turn on navigation, position, anti-collision,
and logo lights, if available. To signal intent to other pilots, consider turning on the taxi light
when the aircraft is moving or intending to move on the ground, and turning it off when stopped
or yielding or as a consideration to other pilots or ground personnel. Strobe lights should not be
illuminated during taxi if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots or ground personnel.

(c) Crossing a Runway. All exterior lights should be illuminated when crossing a
runway.

This is where my procedure comes from. The Red Rotating / Flashing Beacon goes on any time the engine is running or about to be started. The strobes, etc. come on as soon as it makes sense, and is not a nuisance to other people, which is dependent on the situation. I should clarify
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

MichaelM wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:43 pm Does the DA 62 not have a red beacon on the tail or belly (or elsewhere)?
Nope. No Diamond does unless some subsequent owner opts to install one of these laughably feeble and troublesome things.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

No rotating red beacons on any Diamond or Cirrus. You must use your strobes as “beacons”. That’s why they are always on.
MichaelM
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N412ML
Airports: KFSD Y14 KBZN

Post by MichaelM »

Interesting thanks for the info!
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

DA62 landing and taxi lights are worthless. Apparently Austrians don’t fly at night.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

I’m replacing the ballasts on my 62 at the current annual - apparently that makes a huge difference and the new units were not expensive at all. Will report. The stock units are laughably dim… makes no sense because the alternative units are the same but higher powered from the same manufacturer. So why Diamond doesn’t just use them is beyond me. Cheers
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I’m only familiar with ballasts in the context of fluorescent lighting. Are the factory lights LED or incandescent?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:05 am I’m only familiar with ballasts in the context of fluorescent lighting. Are the factory lights LED or incandescent?
Gas-discharge lights such as XEVision need high-voltage excitation.
XeVision
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N789DB
Airports: KOGD

Post by XeVision »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:05 am I’m only familiar with ballasts in the context of fluorescent lighting. Are the factory lights LED or incandescent?
That depends on the vintage of your DA40, older ones had 2 very weak incandescents, in just the last couple of years they have again weak but LED's from the factory.