4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Re: DA62 Length Question

Post by ultraturtle »

Bryce wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:13 pm Within a few inches works. John also sent me pictures of your system, which I understand you're selling. I would like to talk with you to see if it can work for me since my door is a little smaller than yours.
I have 8" of clearance each side on a 48' opening by canting the DA62 15 degrees and rolling it on dollies confined to the track. How wide is your opening? Canting more than 15 degrees in a T hangar would cause issues with wingtip and tail clearance, so I don't think my system would work well with an opening less than 47' 6". For a square hangar, you could haul it in sideways, and only need a 32' opening, 49' deep.
Bryce
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryce
Aircraft Registration: N6KB
Airports: KRTS

Post by Bryce »

My door is 45'11" wide. Hangar is 49'2" wide by 39'11" deep interior dimensions. I know I can just lift the plane on these dollies posted below, but some kind of fail proof rail system like yours may be better. Could yours be adapted to cant more to the side to allow for the smaller door?
Attachments
Screenshot_20221009-080647_Chrome.jpg
N6KB DA62 Q3-2023. Now April 2024.
N524HS BE G36 2007 (Sold)
N605CA DA40 2008 (Sold)
KRTS - Reno Stead
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by ultraturtle »

Bryce wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:09 pm My door is 45'11" wide. Hangar is 49'2" wide by 39'11" deep interior dimensions. I know I can just lift the plane on these dollies posted below, but some kind of fail proof rail system like yours may be better. Could yours be adapted to cant more to the side to allow for the smaller door?
Man, oh man, I wish those dollies were available 4 years ago when I designed this system. They are exactly what I was looking for back then. You would need to purchase 3 of them, and if they do not ratchet close enough, bring them to a steel fabrication shop to reweld the roller supports to adjust for the smaller diameter tires (from the picture, it looks like they might work right out of the box). A track system would probably not be necessary with a box shaped hangar. If you were to cant your DA62 47 degrees, you would only need 33' 5" width, giving you 6' 3" clearance on both wingtips. This is how it would fit in your hangar (accurately scaled):
Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 3.20.40 PM.png
Also, if these dollies work, you would not need to order the expensive Best Tugs B8. You could haul it in with a very inexpensive winch, and simply pull it out by hand.
Last edited by ultraturtle on Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by ultraturtle »

Also, you might want to contact Redline Aviation in the near future to place an order for the fitting you will need to replace the DA40 fitting you now have on your Sidewinder. The DA62 nosewheel tire is far too large for the DA40 Sidewinder to fit.
Bryce
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryce
Aircraft Registration: N6KB
Airports: KRTS

Post by Bryce »

Wow, thanks for drawing up that diagram for me! My Sidewinder is currently set up for my Bonanza, so good idea on calling now for the DA62 attachment. L

Thanks,
Bryce
N6KB DA62 Q3-2023. Now April 2024.
N524HS BE G36 2007 (Sold)
N605CA DA40 2008 (Sold)
KRTS - Reno Stead
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by ultraturtle »

Bryce wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:21 pmMy Sidewinder is currently set up for my Bonanza, so good idea on calling now for the DA62 attachment.
Good idea. Mine took months.

One other thing - the standard DA62 Sidewinder fitting will not fit the Beringer nosewheel. See if they currently have the specs for that wheel and can fabricate the new fitting specifically for it. Otherwise, it is possible to modify it to fit after you get it. If needed, you can PM Chris for how he did it on his Sidewinder for his Beringer wheeled DA42.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

ultraturtle wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:36 pm
Bryce wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:21 pmMy Sidewinder is currently set up for my Bonanza, so good idea on calling now for the DA62 attachment.
Good idea. Mine took months.

One other thing - the standard DA62 Sidewinder fitting will not fit the Beringer nosewheel. See if they currently have the specs for that wheel and can fabricate the new fitting specifically for it. Otherwise, it is possible to modify it to fit after you get it. If needed, you can PM Chris for how he did it on his Sidewinder for his Beringer wheeled DA42.
I just had the Beringer wheels and brakes installed: I’m still using the Sidewinder I bought for the DA62 two years ago, without modification.
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by ultraturtle »

photoSteveZ wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:55 pmI just had the Beringer wheels and brakes installed: I’m still using the Sidewinder I bought for the DA62 two years ago, without modification.
Thanks for that! Was waffling on whether or not to upgrade to the Beringer wheel/brake system for my DA62, and this tips the scale a tiny bit.

Warning: Massive Thread Drift to Follow

The DA42-VI wheel/brake system is comically undersized for its weight bearing capacity, and flight schools stock dozens of wheel/brake assemblies for rapid replacement, proving the point. I flat spotted twice during the 2 years and 200 hours or so I flew my DA42-VI with what I considered to be light braking. If I still owned a DA-42-VI, the Beringer upgrade would be my top priority.

Not so with the DA62. The wheels are far larger, tire pressure is much less, and braking effectiveness with stock (pre-Beringer) wheel/brakes is truly impressive. I have 474 hours on the original tires, and one is finally wearing down to near the groove, so will probably need replacement next month at annual. Been honking on the brakes more and more with each landing leading up to the inevitable replacement, but unable (unwilling, really) to lock them up, even with landing distances (from threshold to turnoff) less than 1500 ft at ~4,800 lb GW, summertime in Florida.

Hat's off to owners of new deliveries with the Beringer system - don't get me wrong - they are great. Just want to let owners of non-Beringer DA62s know that the imperative to upgrade is not nearly as strong as it is for owners of DA-42s.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Bryce wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:21 pm Wow, thanks for drawing up that diagram for me! My Sidewinder is currently set up for my Bonanza, so good idea on calling now for the DA62 attachment. L

Thanks,
Bryce
You need a different Sidewinder for the DA62: I’ve got a Sidewinder for my A36 and it’s about half the length of the Sidewinder I bought for the 62. Completely different design.

I’ll try and remember to take side-by-side photos of the two Sidewinders next time I’m at the hangar. Also worth noting is that I’ve found I need to recharge the battery pack after every round-trip when moving the DA62, and that’s with a simple out-and-turn-90° path.