4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Re: New MSB about to be issued

Post by Davestation »

Colin wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:32 pm They have NO good pistons? If you replace an engine core right now you get bad pistons? Doesn't that mean that if you take delivery of a plane right now you get bad pistons?
My understanding is all of the current batch of pistons are “bad”, ie. Oversize by .0015” and/or compromised wrist pin boss. The ones that are clear of the latter can still be used so long as the blocks are rehoned to match. The alternative is to wait until the next batch of pistons which will not be any time this year.
Colin wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:08 pm So *just* the engine block comes from Mercedes? Continental and Austro each make their own cylinders? Is there any transparency on this? Is it the result of the new owners being in China and they have selected a (cheaper) cylinder manufacturer in China?
Continental had always sand casted their own blocks. I believe (though the experts here are sure to clarify) AE was buying Mercedes’ stock until they simply stopped producing them, so AE had to find another vendor.

In either case the cylinders are integral to the block,neither engine is sleeved. The cylinder bore is not an issue, but it presents a workaround.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Davestation wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:30 pm My understanding is all of the current batch of pistons are “bad”, ie. Oversize by .0015” and/or compromised wrist pin boss. The ones that are clear of the latter can still be used so long as the blocks are rehoned to match. The alternative is to wait until the next batch of pistons which will not be any time this year.
If that's the case, is it consistent with the idea that all of this is the fault of decisions made 3,4,5 years ago by people no longer at Austro? It's interesting that apparently in the conference video the blame game had already begun.
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Post by Davestation »

Can’t speak to the blame and signed off shortly after the Q&A started
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

Boatguy wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:19 pm
krellis wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:11 pm I thought the Austros were almost as reliable as a PT-6 or so "ultraturtle" said.

And the "unreliable" Lycomings just keep on ticking...

Feel bad for the Austro owners.
This might not be the time...
Probably not, but it might give someone pause about buying in to all the Austro hype. The Austro fan club on here has for years denigrated the "ancient technology" Lycomings - all the while enduring multiple, expensive MSB's for failing components on their Austros. And now this. If I had an order pending for an Austro powered Diamond, I would probably be looking at alternatives.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Unfortunately, the alternatives are rare, especially in Europe with pretty expensive and not widely available 100LL. Second hand SET is only that comes to my mind.
RookieFlyer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ken
Aircraft Registration: NIL
Airports: NZAR

Post by RookieFlyer »

krellis wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:06 am
Probably not, but it might give someone pause about buying in to all the Austro hype. The Austro fan club on here has for years denigrated the "ancient technology" Lycomings - all the while enduring multiple, expensive MSB's for failing components on their Austros. And now this. If I had an order pending for an Austro powered Diamond, I would probably be looking at alternatives.
On the contrary - I'm placing an order for a new DA62 next year - no two ways about it. While I certainly empathize with those for whom this issue is going to be a source of great inconvenience and frustration, I've been lurking away quietly on this forum for four years to assess which modern aircraft to buy. Despite the various shortcomings that get openly expressed here (this is no Diamond fanboy site), I have every confidence they will work through this baptism of fire to produce a superior aircraft. I'll take an Austro over any Lycoming for a US$1.6M aircraft.
Last edited by RookieFlyer on Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

I passed through KJNX on Thursday... home of Blueline Flight school, they have something like 20+ DA40NGs and a few Austro 42s. Had a really interesting chat with a couple of line guys there. We might not have fully appreciated the amount of engine issues Blueline has had that don't (thankfully) make it to NTSB reports... anecdotal but they have been apparently "plagued" with Austro engine issues in the last year in their obviously high cadence environment.

Personally, I sorta had my head in the sand in my '21 200hr plane that still (for now) flies like a dream.

I am due at Southec on Nov 2nd for a routine oil change and AD inspection... Hopefully I'll learn a bit more about this situation and will report back if able.
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

Oh and Krellis, if you are looking for satisfaction... yes you are right! It does give people pause, I had all but decided to place my deposit on a 62 in April. This obviously gives me pause.
BUT the more pressing matter in hand is the heartbreaking reality that a bunch of us have risky exposure (both financially and potentially our safety!) in a half million dollar asset that most of us cherish.
Might be a bit soon to be putting the boot in!
KJH
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kevin
Aircraft Registration: NANA
Airports: LESU

Post by KJH »

RookieFlyer wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:21 pm
gcampbe2 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:32 pm
3) Impact to DA62 delivery. My expectation in this situation is that every available engine will be going to get existing aircraft back in the air. As such, I suspect this will impact Diamond’s ability to deliver any new aircraft which are not far enough along in production to have the engines currently mounted. I will be interested in hearing from Diamond updated delivery dates for customers whose planes haven’t commenced production yet, as this may necessarily impact my future plans.[/i]
As one intending to place an order for a new DA62 next year, I certainly hope not.

My perception of DAI as a company, is that they are capital starved, therefore keeping cash flow rolling is going to be paramount to their survival. They are caught between a rock and a hard place on this.
Does anyone know if their financial statements are public, there may be an Austrian equivalent of the UK Companies House portal that you can get these from?
robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OE-FAR
Airports: LOWL

Post by robert63 »

KJH wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:11 pm
RookieFlyer wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:21 pm
gcampbe2 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:32 pm
3) Impact to DA62 delivery. My expectation in this situation is that every available engine will be going to get existing aircraft back in the air. As such, I suspect this will impact Diamond’s ability to deliver any new aircraft which are not far enough along in production to have the engines currently mounted. I will be interested in hearing from Diamond updated delivery dates for customers whose planes haven’t commenced production yet, as this may necessarily impact my future plans.[/i]
As one intending to place an order for a new DA62 next year, I certainly hope not.

My perception of DAI as a company, is that they are capital starved, therefore keeping cash flow rolling is going to be paramount to their survival. They are caught between a rock and a hard place on this.
Does anyone know if their financial statements are public, there may be an Austrian equivalent of the UK Companies House portal that you can get these from?
Yes, it is available. I checked it and they are quite profitable and healthy.
In 2020 they had Retained earnings with profit carried forward of € 36.5 millions. The turnover in 2020 was € 33.4 millions.