4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Re: DA62 iPad Mount

Post by photoSteveZ »

Like Norm, I use an 11” 2nd gen iPad Pro in portrait mode with the Ram mount and double socket arm. Like Marlon, I use a right angle connector on a short curly cord to power the iPad from the 62’s USB port. Note that at full brightness, the 62’s USB ports don’t supply enough power to hold the battery state of charge: it slowly decreases over time unless you dim the screen somewhat.

In that location on the left A-pillar, the iPad’s connection to the FS510 is intermittent and I can rarely push a flight plan from the iPad to the G1000 without bringing the iPad closer to the MFD. This also affects Foreflight’s ability to mirror ADSB traffic.

One more thing to note: you don’t have to order Diamond’s expensive iPad mount option. All 62s are fabricated with the A-pillar nut plates and you can buy the ball mounts directly from any Ram supplier.
MichaelM
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N412ML
Airports: KFSD Y14 KBZN

Post by MichaelM »

photoSteveZ wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:28 pm One more thing to note: you don’t have to order Diamond’s expensive iPad mount option. All 62s are fabricated with the A-pillar nut plates and you can buy the ball mounts directly from any Ram supplier.
I was told that the planes coming from one of the factories often has the plates / holes for the mounts pretty much no matter what, but that one of the other factories does not do that and only puts them in if you order the iPad mount. I have nothing to back that up, though.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

photoSteveZ wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:28 pm Note that at full brightness, the 62’s USB ports don’t supply enough power to hold the battery state of charge: it slowly decreases over time unless you dim the screen somewhat.
With USB-A, yes. The new airplanes come with USB-C ports as well. They provide a lot more energy.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

mfdutra wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:22 pm
photoSteveZ wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:28 pm Note that at full brightness, the 62’s USB ports don’t supply enough power to hold the battery state of charge: it slowly decreases over time unless you dim the screen somewhat.
With USB-A, yes. The new airplanes come with USB-C ports as well. They provide a lot more energy.
I guess my one-y-o 62 is an ‘old’ airplane. ;)

*sigh*
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

photoSteveZ wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:28 pmIn that location on the left A-pillar, the iPad’s connection to the FS510 is intermittent and I can rarely push a flight plan from the iPad to the G1000 without bringing the iPad closer to the MFD. This also affects Foreflight’s ability to mirror ADSB traffic.
That is very surprising. I you to use WiFi SD cards for photography and they connected to my house WiFi with no problem.
photoSteveZ wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:28 pmOne more thing to note: you don’t have to order Diamond’s expensive iPad mount option. All 62s are fabricated with the A-pillar nut plates and you can buy the ball mounts directly from any Ram supplier.
Too late for that, I placed the order two years ago!
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

MichaelM wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:12 pmI was told that the planes coming from one of the factories often has the plates / holes for the mounts pretty much no matter what, but that one of the other factories does not do that and only puts them in if you order the iPad mount. I have nothing to back that up, though.
I can confirm this. My 2017 DA62 that was built in Austria included the nut plates and screws for iPad mounts, but I've seen at least one DA62 built later in Canada that lacked the nut plates (the new owner did not order the iPad mount). It had screws stuck in the A-pillar holes that were strictly cosmetic.

As for which size iPad to use, during the 5 years I owned a DA62 I initially tried a full-size iPad mounted on the DA62s right side co-pilot A-pillar, since it only blocked direct view of some of circuit breakers. But I later changed to an iPad Mini mounted on the pilot (left) side and discovered that I preferred that location for ease of access; the Mini didn't block as much of the instrument panel as the full-size iPad at that location. Both iPad mounting locations permitted communications with a FlightStream 510 card located in the MFD.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

If you're using an iPad on the iPad mount, what app is normally displayed on the iPad, or do you switch?

What do you use for a kneeboard?
Flyingferg
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: CFERG
Airports: CYPQ

Post by Flyingferg »

I have ForeFlight up on the iPad. The geo referenced charts are great for approaches.

I don’t use a kneeboard in the 62 but I did use one in my C182. I keep a small clipboard with a writing pad and a pen same as a kneeboard would have in the left side console storage pocket in case I need it.

I use the Apple Pencil and scratchpad on ForeFlight to write down clearances and weather etc. I have the Pivot case on the iPad so it is quick and easy to put the iPad on your leg to write easier then put it back on the mount. Lots of times I get leave the iPad in its mount and write on it with the pencil but I am left handed. This is one of the very times in my life I have found an advantage for being left handed. It is very much a right handed world.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Boatguy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:18 am If you're using an iPad on the iPad mount, what app is normally displayed on the iPad, or do you switch?

What do you use for a kneeboard?
Foreflight on the iPad, and an "old-fashioned" small metal kneeboard with paper and pen for copying clearances, frequencies, weather, etc.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
foehammer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curtis
Aircraft Registration: N62XZ
Airports: KPAE

Post by foehammer »

I use an iPad mini 6 in a RAM mount in my trainer and plan to use it mounted on the left side as others have done once I'm in the 62.

Slightly off topic but thought I'd share... I like using the apple pencil for taking notes with the iPad, but it isn't easy getting the pencil in and out of the clip on the side of the RAM mount. I decided to try and take advantage of the magnet in the pencil and whipped up a little lanyard with a fairly strong magnet from an old computer hard drive. Works pretty well! I can pull it off the magnet with ease and when I'm done, it snaps right back on and stays put.
Attachments
IMG_5064.jpg