5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Another Newbie - Part III

Post by Boatguy »

Steve wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:53 pm
Boatguy wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:40 pmWhat do they mean by "position mark"?
They are referring to the red marks on the tire and wheel hub, which should be aligned. If they are not, it indicates that the tire slipped on the wheel, usually due to low tire pressure combined with hard braking.

DSCN0013.JPG
Thank you.

So the alignment with the valve stem is just coincidental. There is a red mark on the tire (which apparently I have not noticed...).

Correction. I just found this in Ewing's Concise Guide to the DA62:

Red dot on tire sidewall indicates tire’s point of lowest mass
During installation, red dot is aligned with the valve stem which is the heaviest mass on the inner tube
Main wheel covers hide the valve stem, so alignment arrow on cover indicates valve stem position

CAUTION: If red slip mark on the wheel cover is not aligned with red dot on tire, the wheel should be inspected by an authorized mechanic
I don't have wheel covers (possibly a change when they went to Beringer wheels/brakes) but I do believe there is a red mark on the rim.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Another Newbie - Part III

Post by Boatguy »

I looked at my tires/wheels today. The Beringer wheels have no mark as far as I could see. The Goodyear Flight Custom III tires have a red dot on the sidewall. One wheel appeared to have a mark on the inside of the rim that was barely visible on the edge, but not on the face. I suspect the inside of the rim is marked to align with the red dot when mounting the tire.

I intend to monitor the red dot and the valve stem.