3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N271CF
Airports: 16J

Re: Losing GPS on approach

Post by thommy152 »

Boatguy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:44 am
thommy152 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:50 amAnd Russ, Diamond would not pay for the upgrade to the new style antenna under warranty. I can’t remember the exact quote, but I believe it was in the range of 5-7k to upgrade to new antenna so I elected to replace with the same style as came with the airplane.
I'm not surprised since it is an Optional SB. But if you're under warranty they won't have that latitude for the parts and labor replacing a GIA64. What looked odd in the video was that the GIA does not lose the GPS satellites, it just blanks the display. As soon as the PTT was released, the display was back and all the satellites were there.

For reference by others, here is the antenna OSB.
In my instance of this problem, the GPS's do not immediately come back online--usually takes 30 seconds for GPS functionality to be restored. When the failure happens, I can consistently reproduce the failure simply by pushing the PTT switch again. But on a different date in a different place with the same frequency, the failure may not happen. It's certainly intermittent, but like I mentioned earlier, it's happened multiple times, usually affects both GPS 1 and 2, and occurs during transmission in a certain frequency range. Hoping Diamond can get this figured out soon.
2000 C182S (N882SP) / 2023 DA-62 (N271CF).
Commercial ASEL, AMEL, CFI.
thommy152
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N271CF
Airports: 16J

Re: Losing GPS on approach

Post by thommy152 »

My service center got the new GIA installed but it did not fix the GPS issue. Service center is now thinking the ELT may be causing the GPS interference. The troubleshooting is taking a long time because in order to get the repairs covered under warranty, Premier has to wait for approval from Diamond. This process takes a few days and then when the Diamond-proposed solution doesn’t work, the cycle repeats. Frustrating but hope to get this problem resolved soon!
2000 C182S (N882SP) / 2023 DA-62 (N271CF).
Commercial ASEL, AMEL, CFI.