5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Bose A30 - Unwanted Noise

Post by Colin »

I would peek at the batteries once a month. I had a quarter leak in my O2 regulator and it was a drag to clean it out at a remote airport.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Everyone has some experience with AA's in headsets and numerous other devices and has their own risk assessment of leaks. How often you want to check the batteries is open to opinion. In my experience leaking is pretty rare for Duracell AA's that aren't particularly old. Not counting the ones in there now, over the years I've cycled 252 of these through my emergency battery holder (28 each 2-year cycle). Upon removal, in one such cycle, a single battery was found to have leaked among that 252.

There is some benefit to having the batteries installed. A couple that come to mind: Making a phone call using your headset with the aircraft parked and electrical system off. Another really-low probability is keeping ANR/BT available should one use the essential bus switch for its intended purpose, dealing with an unavailable alternator. In this case, among other things you'd lose LEMO power.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

Seems like there's some experts in this thread. On a separate thread, I described a problem I am having with a Delta Zulu. Essentially, if there are 4 headsets (2 A20s and 1 standard Zulu plus the Delta Zulu), the Zulu will, without warning delivering a loud "fuzzing/static" sound in the headset. Disconnecting and reconnecting solves the problem for a bit and then it starts again.

My headset has been with Lightspeed for over a month and they have no idea about how to solve this problem. That last question they asked is: "Is the pane is wired in a series or parallel?"

I have no idea how to answer this. Does anyone know?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

nworthin wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:39 pm Seems like there's some experts in this thread. On a separate thread, I described a problem I am having with a Delta Zulu. Essentially, if there are 4 headsets (2 A20s and 1 standard Zulu plus the Delta Zulu), the Zulu will, without warning delivering a loud "fuzzing/static" sound in the headset. Disconnecting and reconnecting solves the problem for a bit and then it starts again.

My headset has been with Lightspeed for over a month and they have no idea about how to solve this problem. That last question they asked is: "Is the pane is wired in a series or parallel?"

I have no idea how to answer this. Does anyone know?
Yes and no. All headsets are wired in parallel but for panel power tap a single circuit which is limited in capacity by a 100 ohm resistor. This ultimately limits the overall current capacity. Are all the other headsets also LEMO panel-power?

Are we still talking Diamonds, here? I see a Pilatus in your profile.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

Rich wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:03 pm
Yes and no. All headsets are wired in parallel but for panel power tap a single circuit which is limited in capacity by a 100 ohm resistor. This ultimately limits the overall current capacity. Are all the other headsets also LEMO panel-power?

Are we still talking Diamonds, here? I see a Pilatus in your profile.
Still talking Diamonds (and, specifically, my DA62).

As to your other question, yes, all other headsets are LEMO panel powered.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

MarkO wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:51 am An interesting thing I have found. If I turn off the Electric Master switch after a flight, The standby instruments will turn off after 30 seconds as designed. However, if I leave my iPad plugged into the USB-C outlet, the standby instrument will not shut down - I must do it manually. When I next turn on the Electric Master switch, I get a warning that the Standby Instrument battery reserve could be less than 30 minutes. Is there a link between the standby instrument and the USB charger outlets?
Your DA62 came with USB-C? I’m jealous. :D
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

I bought the Lemo adapter and an A30 Lemo headset. The never running out of battery power is attractive. But I do have some noise when talking on intercom but it’s ok. But a word to the wise, the adapter does not work on the Sportys direct dual plug handheld radio. So, I’ve either got to get a new handheld radio or go back to a dual plug headset. Uggg.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Mjwatlanta wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:31 pm I bought the Lemo adapter and an A30 Lemo headset. The never running out of battery power is attractive. But I do have some noise when talking on intercom but it’s ok. But a word to the wise, the adapter does not work on the Sportys direct dual plug handheld radio. So, I’ve either got to get a new handheld radio or go back to a dual plug headset. Uggg.
Offhand, I'm not surprised. Exactly which model radio are we talking about?
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

Sportys J2 with standard plugs. I’m debating whether to go with new radio - the new j2 is supposed to be better. Or try to return the a30 for standard plugs and give up on lemo. Or keep the lemo and use as copilot/passenger headset and never worry about batteries being dead. Advice?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Mjwatlanta wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:13 pm Sportys J2 with standard plugs. I’m debating whether to go with new radio - the new j2 is supposed to be better. Or try to return the a30 for standard plugs and give up on lemo. Or keep the lemo and use as copilot/passenger headset and never worry about batteries being dead. Advice?
There are a couple things, here.
1. I expect that plugging "my" LEMO adapter into any dual plug setup other than directly into the Diamond dual-plug will not deliver power to a LEMO. You will absolutely need battery power for the headset. No way around it.
2. We've found that some dual-plug setups use the mic-tip for the original purpose of hand-held mikes - to support an external push-to-talk. This can produce a stuck-mike behavior or perhaps not work at all.

In either case I suggest keeping batteries in the A30 for use with the j2. When plugged into the Diamond plugs, the batteries will simply not be used. In case 2, get a plain-jane DP-LEMO adapter for use with LEMO headsets. These have no pin-1 connection and are widely available.