2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N419PM
Airports: KHEF

New member introduction & takeaways

Post by AirWolf »

Hello everyone, nice to meet you!

Excited to introduce myself after completing a thorough deep-dive of all the prior threads (well, at least going back to ~2016). Huge Diamond fanboy since an old friend flew them in IFT at USAFA in the mid-2000s (he eventually ended up as a Viper pilot). I am going place an order for a 2025 DA-40NG...very soon. Probably under Diamond Share. In regular contact with Lifestyle...heavy research mode (I do not even take a #2 without a detailed plan). The catch? I have precisely zero real-life hours (yet) in any Diamond Aircraft.

My short life aviation story (common pattern for GA, I think):
  • Relatives: Grandfather was a B-17 gunner in WWII [527th BS - 379th BG(H) - 8 AAF], survived and engrossed me with stories.
  • 1980s: Instead of cartoons, watched 1,000s of hours of the Discovery Wings channel (Weekday Wings, Wings, Wings II, Sea Wings, Wings of the Red Star, and Wings of the Luftwaffe). That sh*t was my childhood jam.
  • 1990s: Took a few flight lessons but not enough cash tips from Bennigans to stay aloft. Saved for future PPL instead...
  • 2000s: Once I could afford to do it all in 2-3 intensive months, I got my PPL out of KSMO! Logged about 90h in 172s flying around LA and short strips to Vegas with friends. Some Stearman aerobatics time. Poor again.
  • 2010s: Worked as a govie, then worked in private sector, drank, traveled, lived overseas in Toulouse supporting Airbus A350 flight test and A320 production...saved cash, no flying. Then had 2 kids!
  • 2020s: Survived the pandemic, settled back in the DC area (never moving again!).
  • 2023: Financials no longer a impediment. Decided to re-aviate. Flying out of KHEF via Aviation Adventures with an outstanding CFI EliasK. Learning today's technology (wow!) since I grew up on gauges. On the hangar waitlist at KHEF...Fall 2024? Want to stick a DA-40NG into it...CAVU.
Following folks - who have indicated DA flight experience nearby to NoVa - should expect a DM shortly - missing anyone?
  • KHEF
    Jeff (wolffj)
    Dave (CFIDave)
    David (DavidS)
    Abraham (abraham425)
  • KBWI
    Derek (manatee)
Thought it may be interesting to distill my major learnings from the forum so far:
  • AirCon is a must in my region, esp. with aftermarket JetShades. Some expressed disappointment in the cooling capacity of the system but, IMHO, it should simply make things tolerable on a July day until you can get up to altitude, right?
  • Even if they may cost more, use official DA Service Centers especially for engine maintenance. Nearest recommendation to me is SouthTecAviation out of Salisbury, NC. (example: not tightening the dual hose clamps on the intake hose, after removing to acces gearbox oil filter. NOTE: accessible to pilot and should be checked after maintenance).
  • Warn A&Ps that prop is extremely fragile (especially trailing edges) and the covers should be on at all times during maintenance.
  • Buy Bruce's covers, engine plugs, and a "Brett fin" (to keep the nose wheel straight
  • Expect break in period (and expenses) in the first 100hrs...along with some Canadian production imperfections
  • The rear cabin latch can break when overextended...several reported mishaps there. Maybe restrict the full motion with a cable.
  • Operating costs vary but at 400hrs/yr = ~$215/hr (maintenance hovers around $50/hr of that total). Current went rental rates around $200/hr for classic DA40s.
  • Labor costs around $125-150/hr and a 100hr, 300hr services should cost ~$1,500 & ~$2,500 - respectively. Annual ~$5,000.
  • NG vs XLS comes down to pilot preference and geographic area. IMO, this is aviation and everything we pay partially covers a company's R&D into XYZ. The portion of R&D you donate to the manufacturer decreases over time until, at some point, you decide the risk:reward balance is positive. I'll post an interesting thread on this debate soon...
Thanks for reading,

Mike
DiamondRob
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: GWARZ
Airports: EGTE

Re: New member introduction & takeaways

Post by DiamondRob »

Love the username, the terrific enthusiasm, plus the 0 hours in a diamond but ready to buy none the less (good man) attitude. Also, good deep reading efforts and welcome to the fold!
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

WRT to DSC's, if you buy an NG, you really must go to a DSC, and one with Austro expertise. I would hope that no A&P without Austro expertise would even think of touching the engine. You'd be better off taking it to you local Mercedes dealer.
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

Post by alanhawse »

AirWolf wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:11 pm
  • AirCon is a must in my region, esp. with aftermarket JetShades. Some expressed disappointment in the cooling capacity of the system but, IMHO, it should simply make things tolerable on a July day until you can get up to altitude, right?
  • Even if they may cost more, use official DA Service Centers especially for engine maintenance. Nearest recommendation to me is SouthTecAviation out of Salisbury, NC. (example: not tightening the dual hose clamps on the intake hose, after removing to acces gearbox oil filter. NOTE: accessible to pilot and should be checked after maintenance).
  • Buy Bruce's covers, engine plugs, and a "Brett fin" (to keep the nose wheel straight
  • Expect break in period (and expenses) in the first 100hrs...along with some Canadian production imperfections
  • Operating costs vary but at 400hrs/yr = ~$215/hr (maintenance hovers around $50/hr of that total). Current went rental rates around $200/hr for classic DA40s.
  • Labor costs around $125-150/hr and a 100hr, 300hr services should cost ~$1,500 & ~$2,500 - respectively. Annual ~$5,000.
The air-conditioning takes the edge off even in the deep south.. i like it and it helps resale value apparently I don't notice any performance cost.. .so I would say that it is pretty negligible... other than the 98 pounds it cost

100% use factory certified service.

I don't think that a bret fin is worth it.... especially since it is not STC

Yes the Canadian quality sucked

I think that your guess is too high... I posted my first 400 hours and I was lower... about 120 viewtopic.php?t=8861&hilit=thoughts+after Those were the exact number for my 400ish hours... Id be happy to give you the invoices

If you fly anywhere near 400 hours in a year you will be in the top 1% of fliers (I bet with no data... and its the internet so that is OK :) )
AirWolf
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Registration: N419PM
Airports: KHEF

Post by AirWolf »

Thanks for the responses!

alanhawse wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:01 am I don't think that a bret fin is worth it.... especially since it is not STC
What, really, are the most impactful negatives of not using one? Seems most complain about misalignment on landing increases tread wear? Small decrease in knots? Having to yaw unnecessarily? I'm not as familiar with the issues around STC (other than inspections being a possible issue here).

alanhawse wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:01 am fly anywhere near 400 hours in a year
So if I end up using DiamondShare with 4pax total that allocates 100hr/person/year. I figure the airplane wants to be flown and if I can spread interest in aviation or help someone gain access to a killer aircraft, may as well max it out. Thoughts on when this aircraft is most happy? I'm guessing in the 100h to 400h range per year? Less or more than that and mechanical burdens increase, yes?

Boatguy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:35 pm You'd be better off taking it to you local Mercedes dealer.
Great to know I have a backup plan if the parking lot is big enough to land in! Thoughts on the accessibility? What's the minimum truly "annoying" distance for maintenance? I'm pretty easy going. Also, asking LifeStyle about the MISB I got this response - thoughts?
If an airplane has a problem at an airport without a Diamond service center, Diamond will arrange to either send a qualified mechanic to the airplane or will work with a non-trained local mechanic to "remote control" them through any fix.
I just had this happen with a client who landed in Topeka, KS, and needed a new prop governor. Diamond overnighted the part to the local shop and a Diamond maintenance representative worked with the local mechanic on the field via video call to install. The plane was back in the air the next day.

DiamondRob wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:29 pm 0 hours in a diamond but ready to buy none the less (good man) attitude
Cessna is not exactly a forward-looking innovator...quite easy to see that Diamond-like aircraft are the future of the market. Great reputation, performance, and looks! I do have a few hundred hours in an NG flying MSFS... hope to get into one of these rentals at KJYO ASAP! Fits my mission perfectly.
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by alanhawse »

With regards to the Bret Fin... My plane cruises with the ball on the line typically needing a bit of right pedal... so I often rest my right foot on the pedal.. which mostly gets it back coordinated. There is obviously some weather vane-ing ... I have not noticed the tread wear thing... BUT .. with new pilots flying the tires and brakes have lived a hard life so who knows. From the the long Brett forum thread which I only scanned... there are obviously lots of people who love it... and Im tempted.. but haven't wanted to bend trim tabs... or drill holes. (but as I say I only scanned... so maybe I misread)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

AirWolf wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:10 pm Thanks for the responses!
alanhawse wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:01 am I don't think that a bret fin is worth it.... especially since it is not STC
What, really, are the most impactful negatives of not using one? Seems most complain about misalignment on landing increases tread wear? Small decrease in knots? Having to yaw unnecessarily? I'm not as familiar with the issues around STC (other than inspections being a possible issue here).
alanhawse wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:01 am fly anywhere near 400 hours in a year
So if I end up using DiamondShare with 4pax total that allocates 100hr/person/year. I figure the airplane wants to be flown and if I can spread interest in aviation or help someone gain access to a killer aircraft, may as well max it out. Thoughts on when this aircraft is most happy? I'm guessing in the 100h to 400h range per year? Less or more than that and mechanical burdens increase, yes?
Boatguy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:35 pm You'd be better off taking it to you local Mercedes dealer.
Great to know I have a backup plan if the parking lot is big enough to land in! Thoughts on the accessibility? What's the minimum truly "annoying" distance for maintenance? I'm pretty easy going. Also, asking LifeStyle about the MISB I got this response - thoughts?
If an airplane has a problem at an airport without a Diamond service center, Diamond will arrange to either send a qualified mechanic to the airplane or will work with a non-trained local mechanic to "remote control" them through any fix.
I just had this happen with a client who landed in Topeka, KS, and needed a new prop governor. Diamond overnighted the part to the local shop and a Diamond maintenance representative worked with the local mechanic on the field via video call to install. The plane was back in the air the next day.

DiamondRob wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:29 pm 0 hours in a diamond but ready to buy none the less (good man) attitude
Cessna is not exactly a forward-looking innovator...quite easy to see that Diamond-like aircraft are the future of the market. Great reputation, performance, and looks! I do have a few hundred hours in an NG flying MSFS... hope to get into one of these rentals at KJYO ASAP! Fits my mission perfectly.
1. Bret Fin. Fly your plane and see if it needs it or not. My plane needed it and it was a huge improvement. My IA had no concerns.

2. Sharing: The more people sharing your plane, the more time it will spend in the shop getting serviced and nobody will have access. 4x 100hrs is at least 3x trips to the service shop for a 100hr service. That's roughly a trip every three months, plus the annual. In reality, you'll all fly more in the summer and you could be need a 100hr service in 8-10 weeks. How will all the parties feel about that?

In four years you'll need a new engine and presumably you've read those threads.

3. Service: Lifestyle will say whatever is necessary to get you to sign on the dotted line. Caveat emptor is an understatement.

Service and parts availability is the achilles heel of Austro engines. Qualified mechanics are few and far between and parts don't always come quickly. My plane sat for 10 weeks while a qualified mechanic at a DSC went through a series of "try this", wait for the part (Canada or Austria?), install part, problem not resolved, repeat.

The minimum annoying distance is equal to the distance your wife or friend is willing to drive (fly?) you to drop off your plane and then return to pick it up without you being deeply in their debt. Per your 4 partners plan, that will be at least every three months, and the trips in both directions will be governed by weather. The not annoying distance is on your home field.
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by alanhawse »

[/quote]
1. Bret Fin. Fly your plane and see if it needs it or not. My plane needed it and it was a huge improvement. My IA had no concerns.
[/quote]

I believe that. And... I said I only scanned the thread so I may have it wrong about STC/IA. Bottom line is Im glad it works well for you... and I have and continue to be interested... though I hope Ill be flying a 50 soon.
manatee
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: derek
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Post by manatee »

Hello,

Welcome to the forum and hopefully soon the DMV Diamond owner gang! I am indeed based out of KBWI but have flown quite a bit in the KHEF and KJYO areas. I've owned for a little over two years and have flown between 100-150 hrs per year. I also have the plane in a DiamondShare arrangement (two pilots aside from myself - four people is too many in my opinion if everyone is using their hours). Feel free to contact me - I'll reply to your DM with my phone number. There's also an informal email list of other DMV owners for the occasional "planepool" down to SouthTec if schedules line up.

Echoing what others have said - I would be hesitant to modify your plane with things such as the Brett fin prior to flying it and seeing if it's something you need. In my experience if maintenance tightens the nose wheel to the specified setting it is unnecessary, but obviously your mileage may vary. Also the ~88 pounds of useful load you sacrifice for air conditioning is NOT worth it in my opinion. You already need to fly at around half tanks to carry four people and with the AC it's even less. The useful load is a massive difference and this plane can easily and quickly climb to 10,000+ MSL for cool air.
Johnrschaefer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N669PS
Airports: KJYO

Post by Johnrschaefer »

Welcome to the forum! I'm a DMV DA40 owner, based at JYO. N669PS, at tiedown B3 - swing by if you're in the neighborhood.

I'll join the "dissenting" view on the AC - not worth the weight to me. Don't have it, don't want it. Yeah, its hot in the plane during summer ground ops, but with the canopy in the latched open position I survive until things cool off in the air.

The Bret fin may be another matter. I've had trouble with the crooked nose gear - Sometimes I'll need to rest my foot on a rudder pedal (not always the same one), and sometimes she's straight and true. But, as mentioned above, if the nose wheel is tightened correctly this problem goes away. For a while, anyway. It's now on the list of things to tend to during annual (possibly my only recurring owner squawk). As others have said, fly your plane to see if you need/want it.

As to "an informal email list of other DMV owners for the occasional "planepool" down to SouthTec," I've got an annual coming up in September, so might be looking for a lift :D