5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Need help with DA42 purchasing decision

Post by Rich »

There is one other use for my WAAS capabilities. That is to practice flying glide slopes without relying on my local ILS being available. It’s also more convenient than working into the busier KRDM airport.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

I can’t recall a single flight WAAS would have made possible, that I couldn’t do with LNAV.
Sadly the 12.95 (iirc) PFD software version can't do LNAVs. It's a bit weird, I can fly LPVs but not LNAVs...
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Here’s another side benefit I’ve had with WAAS capabilities:

Last year my non-pilot wife decided she needed an alternative to my personal body when flying so she could find an airport and land. With WAAS coupled approach capability available and my particular array of stuff, she can select an airport and fly the approach right to the brink of the runway and land.The FF+Flightstream+GNS+WAAS+Aspen+AP means she can do this with confidence. This’ll work at night and even IMC.

Could this be a false sense of security? Maybe. Is she likely to ever need to do this? Doubtful. Is she now far more comfortable flying and more of an asset when we fly? Absolutely.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Rich wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:10 pm Here’s another side benefit I’ve had with WAAS capabilities:

Last year my non-pilot wife decided she needed an alternative to my personal body when flying so she could find an airport and land. With WAAS coupled approach capability available and my particular array of stuff, she can select an airport and fly the approach right to the brink of the runway and land.The FF+Flightstream+GNS+WAAS+Aspen+AP means she can do this with confidence. This’ll work at night and even IMC.

Could this be a false sense of security? Maybe. Is she likely to ever need to do this? Doubtful. Is she now far more comfortable flying and more of an asset when we fly? Absolutely.
I did something similar with my wife. She's trained to use the GFC700 on the Redbird, with a little practice in the plane. I simulate ATC providing something like Precision Radar Approach instructions. Then I tell her to cut the power at 50' and flare a little bit. I'm pretty confident she'll walk away. She's much more comfortable.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

AFAIK PAR approaches are strictly military procedures to military fields. And they’re not really AP procedures. I’ve got her, if necessary,to squawk 7700 and not complicate things trying to find/change frequencies UNLESS we were already in contact with ATC.

The level it off and not worry about a squeaker landing is right on. Nobody cares about the airplane at that point.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

Jonathan33 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:11 am Thank you all for the quick replies!

How reliable have the AE300 engines proven to perform?

We live in a more rural area and the closest service center is a few states over. I do not know if this should be a concern.

Thanks!
Not terribly surprised that no one bothered to respond to your question. Suggest you look at the Austro forum viewforum.php?f=22 and look at the information on maintenance, service bulletins, mandatory service bulletins and the more recent AD's on these engines for some answers to your question.
MWC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N26VV
Airports:

Post by MWC »

For anyone considering a DA42NG purchase, consider the latest developments:

- Austro engines are now TBR , overhaul is Not an option and most repairs neither;

- Check the Austro Mx Manual - many somewhat mondain events are "REPLACE ENGINE" , "no ifs, ands, or buts." about it ...

- The cost to replace is now $60,000 , that's a +100% INCREASE over the last 36 months.

I'd say, that alone, anilates any cost savings the diesels might afford .