DA40 2023 starter engaged uncommanded during flight

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: DA40 2023 starter engaged uncommanded during flight

Post by Boatguy »

First, an "ECU Failure" sounds much more serious than it is. It's basically the "check engine" light in your car. There is a wide range of issues from minor to major that will trigger an ECU "failure".

This sounds like it could be as simple as a bad ignition switch.

There is no question that Diamond's factory QA is weak. New owners, including myself, have experienced a wide range of problems in the first 100hrs. I'm aware of faulty TKS plumbing, failed fuel level sensor wiring connectors, inoperative LEMO plugs, jacks installed upside down, and a plane that literally would not start the first time the new owner attempted to fly it after it was delivered from the factory. Problems that should never have departed the factory are being addressed in the field. The good news is that they are covered by warranty and eventually get sorted out. The bad news is that as you've experienced, there is a lot of anxiety and hassle in the first 100hrs.

Please keep us posted.
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

Boatguy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:39 am First, an "ECU Failure" sounds much more serious than it is. It's basically the "check engine" light in your car. There is a wide range of issues from minor to major that will trigger an ECU "failure".
+1. For the OP's sake, probably worth noting that you can get a $900 dongle to read engine codes to tell you what "ECU Failure" means. As Russ mentioned.. it can be a wide range of things from "sensor failed, max power limited to 92%" all the way to "engine overheating." As an owner, I don't think you're technically supposed to have one (only Diamond Service Centers), but if you can find a cooperative mechanic, he can sell you one.

As someone who flies to remote places, it has saved my bacon more than once. Lets you diagnose the problem before calling out a mechanic, so you can get parts shipped in. Mandatory equipment for any Austro owners who stray far from home.
N301MJ
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N301mj
Airports: Khef

Post by N301MJ »

michael.g.miller wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:23 am
Boatguy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:39 am First, an "ECU Failure" sounds much more serious than it is. It's basically the "check engine" light in your car. There is a wide range of issues from minor to major that will trigger an ECU "failure".
+1. For the OP's sake, probably worth noting that you can get a $900 dongle to read engine codes to tell you what "ECU Failure" means. As Russ mentioned.. it can be a wide range of things from "sensor failed, max power limited to 92%" all the way to "engine overheating." As an owner, I don't think you're technically supposed to have one (only Diamond Service Centers), but if you can find a cooperative mechanic, he can sell you one.

As someone who flies to remote places, it has saved my bacon more than once. Lets you diagnose the problem before calling out a mechanic, so you can get parts shipped in. Mandatory equipment for any Austro owners who stray far from home.
Thanks yea I am planning on getting one soon
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

MSB40NG-080 was issued two days ago for all 40NGs requiring an inspection of the starter wiring and a problem which can result in "uncommanded" starter motor engagement.
Attachments
SB40NG-080-M-0-Inspection-of-starter-wiring.pdf
(550.85 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
N301MJ
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by N301MJ »

Boatguy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:48 pm MSB40NG-080 was issued two days ago for all 40NGs requiring an inspection of the starter wiring and a problem which can result in "uncommanded" starter motor engagement.
Thanks for sharing - Southtec has implemented this MSB and are now focusing on the left fuel tank sensor issue and the aux fuel pump ECU B/A failures. They were not able to find any signs of burnt circuitry/source of fumes as of yet. Will update when I know more.
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

I had the mandatory starter service done today. $102.00 for an hour. Mine needed the wire moved. Now that I’ve seen where the wires are, you might be able to get a camera in through oil door and see if you need to do it without removing the cowling. Just Push straight back and a little up and to right. Photos attached.
Attachments
IMG_9322.jpeg
IMG_9323.jpeg
N301MJ
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by N301MJ »

Mjwatlanta wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:43 am I had the mandatory starter service done today. $102.00 for an hour. Mine needed the wire moved. Now that I’ve seen where the wires are, you might be able to get a camera in through oil door and see if you need to do it without removing the cowling. Just Push straight back and a little up and to right. Photos attached.
Thanks for sharing - when was your aircraft built?
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

Post by alanhawse »

Boatguy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:39 am There is no question that Diamond's factory QA is weak.
This makes me crazy because what you say is so so true.

A principal of manufacturing is you cannot inspect in quality. As my very profane boss said, "you don't filter shit out of the river... the best way to get shit out the river is don't shit in the river in the first place". The real problem is they lack of culture of quality in their manufacturing plant. The only way to fix this is from the top to the bottom and the bottom to the top. Hire some Toyota people.

My DA40NG had a bunch of things that were half ass done which had to be fixed by Spearman. So so frustrating.

This is actually my #1 concern about buying a new DA50RG. I get the be one of the guinea pigs.

While Im ripping on Diamond... their customer communication is the WORST!

One thing I wonder about is what is the quality difference between the Austrian planes and the Canadian ones? But I suppose they will not give the data.

I suppose we all put up with it because all-in-all they make the best planes.

Alan
N301MJ
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by N301MJ »

alanhawse wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:28 pm
Boatguy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:39 am There is no question that Diamond's factory QA is weak.
One thing I wonder about is what is the quality difference between the Austrian planes and the Canadian ones? But I suppose they will not give the data.
Thanks Alan, I'm curious about this too as I understand the 50's are being built in Austria and a 62 or a 50 have always been something I wanted to upgrade to. Hopefully when these issues with our 40 are resolved it's smooth sailing but I think my trips will be planned within glide distance for the foreseeable future.
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

The photos are of my 2019 da40 NG.