5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Slick start

Post by Rich »

DerekM wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:57 am Thanks for all the inputs guys! I’ll look into surefly, and why I was quoted $3k USD when spruce sells for $1270. I have the older SS, my plane is a 2003, so maybe the older one with 4 leads costs more. What lead me to disconnect the VIN (voltage in) lead is the breaker would pop when I tried to start the engine. Like I say, it starts perfectly well now the VIN lead is disconnected so it seems like my engine does have an impulse coupler as well. If I have an impulse coupler maybe I shouldn’t get surefly? Why change something that is working sort of thing.
Just curious, is there a wire connected to terminal #2 on your left mag? Also see if you can get the part number of your left mag? If it's 4373, it has an impulse coupling and to replace it with a Surefly you would nee SIM4P, not SIM4N.

Champion now has the SlickStart. Note that there is a very old sb (Unison Service Bulletin SB1-06) that retires the use of pin #2 to the point of cutting the pin off entirely. The ones Champion now ships do not have that pin at all. See Champions manual L-1492E. Lots of info on there.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Re: Slick start

Post by Charles »

My old style SlickStart with the extra lead failed and the replacement unit came without the lead and, if I recall, the SlickStart installation manual had a mention about the need to short pins on the ignition switch when changing from the old style to the new one and a warning that if this was not done, there was a risk of kickback due to premature ignition which would almost certainly destroy the starter. So I ordered the jumper (TCM Terminal P/N 10-126656) from Aircraft Spruce for $3.50 CAD to short the pins on the ignition switch. I see the part is listed for $13.50 today, a 285% increase from 2016 :roll:

The engine was extremely difficult to start with a failed SS.