Northern route cross-country from western MA to San Juan Islands and back (multi-part)

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

danno2000
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N270DS
Airports: KAQW

Northern route cross-country from western MA to San Juan Islands and back (multi-part)

Post by danno2000 »

Hi all - Gonna type this up in multiple posts on this topic as time allows.

Inspired by my successful southern-route cross-country in March (viewtopic.php?t=8898) and mhoran's northern-route cross-country trip (viewtopic.php?t=8998), I decided to take off again in the hopes of reaching Seattle and the San Juans. I had just successfully packed my daughter off to college and so had the flexibility to take a bunch of time.

First day was a late start Saturday afternoon and a quick hop, KAQW North Adams to KROC Rochester. The fun there was getting out - a thunderstorm was approaching fast from the northwest, so I cut short the inevitable conversations at my home field with pilots out on a weekend and skirted the storms to the south. 15 minutes later, heavy rain was hitting the airport and I would've ended up pushing to the next day. As is, it was just a routine VFR flight of skirting a few buildups and figuring out logistics on the ground. AvFlight turned out to be a reasonable and cheaper alternative to Signature.

Day 2, I was Mackinac Island-bound. Did the Canada overflight KROC Rochester to KIKW Midland/Jack Barstow for a fuel stop. Filed IFR as I prefer to have guaranteed communication over Canada. In planning the flight, I wrestled with how much tolerance I would have for cutting the corner on Lake Huron - ended up settling on a roughly 20-mile overflight on the Tango airway and asked for a brief climb to keep within gliding distance despite the stiffer headwinds at altitude.
Over Huron.jpg
It's always a bit jarring to be in Canada with the much smaller fraction of aircraft having ADS-B out - I really have to turn back the clock on traffic avoidance and do the visual scan more diligently even en route.

From there it was a short hour-long trip to KMCD Mackinac Island. It was perfect weather and so I was able to tour the surrounding islands and do a full lap around Mackinac before landing to the east. The airport is in the middle of the island - no motor vehicles are allowed, everything is horse-and-buggy and bicycle. I have a folding bike that came in especially handy there. The fudge was to die for!
Mackinac Grand.jpg
Hotel prices on the island were high and I was in the mood for something lower-key, so I opted to do the 5-minute hop over the water to 83D St. Ignace/Mackinac County. That was closer to sunset, so the perspective was lovely. Motel was less than a mile from the airport - and boy were there a bunch of gulls to spook on the approach! Those birds think they own the airport when there's nobody around.

Day 3 was a sunrise start from Mackinac County to KFAR Fargo, with a fuel stop in KXVG Longville. Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes for a reason, and this was serious lake country - even though some of them were tiny-ish ponds. I had originally considered stopping in Duluth, but I decided being in the middle of nowhere might be more fun for the lunchtime stop. Talked with some folks who alternate between floats and skis with their Cubs, and it was a lovely little community airport similar to dozens of others I've stopped at in my travels. By early afternoon, the thermals had picked up a bit, but it was a short flight to Fargo so I put up with it.

Had some work early Day 4 and so got a late-morning start out of Fargo. The smoke from Canadian fires really had visibility down to poor levels. I could barely see across the airport as the hotel shuttle drove me to the airport. I quickly filed IFR just so I wouldn't have to worry about whether visibility was more or less than 3 miles, picking KMLS Miles City as the intermediate destination with the intent of stretching to KBIL Billings later in the afternoon.

The first couple hours of the flight was tough. It turns out that 4 mile visibility with a lack of a clear horizon is even more disorienting to me than flying through a broken cloud layer. (And again, a quick reminder: I don't have an autopilot, so it's all on me to stay straight and level.) Fortunately, landing traffic had given a PIREP that the top of the smoke layer was around 6,500, so I quickly asked for 8,000 instead of the 6,000 I had filed. As the flight went on, though, visibility worsened and the smoke layer rose. I did something I'd never done before, asking for a block altitude 8,000 to 10,000. That let me poke higher at will as I tried to find tops, but by then it was just bad everywhere and so I went lower where I had at least a bit more ground contact.
Smoke over ND Badlands.jpg
(This is after the worst parts, but you can get the gist.)

Salt Lake Center wanted me to descend 100 miles out and I didn't particularly want to deal with the surface turbulence for that long, so I cancelled IFR after the worst of the smoke and landed at Miles City without incident. It's a fun little airport - I ended up talking for a long while to the 20-year-old line guy who was otherwise bored out of his mind waiting for folks on a hot low-traffic day. I took the crew car and got lunch and goofed around waiting for the heat to die down. In the end, it was still 35 C/95 F when I took off around 6:15 pm. It's a long runway, I watched a couple planes take off before me, and the DA40 is light when it's just me, so density altitude didn't cause big problems.

KMLS to KBIL was just an hour, and despite some visibility constraints was solid VFR. I lived in Billings for five years so am quite familiar with the area, but one nice surprise was that Edwards Jet Center was able to get me hotel discounts that were fully 50% below what my apps were offering. That experience reminded me that sometimes good FBOs can add some value above and beyond direct costs that can justify higher fees, although to its credit, Edwards ended up not charging me any overnight fees and the avgas price was quite reasonable.
Edwards snacks.jpg
Great snacks too!

The unexpectedly cheap hotel in the end prompted me to stay there an extra couple days, both to get some work done and to wait for some weather over the mountains to pass. Highlights included losing $20 at the famous Crystal Lounge poker room where Annie Duke used to play, and a nice long bike ride along the rimrocks overlooking the Yellowstone Valley.

Up next: crossing the mountains!
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: Northern route cross-country from western MA to San Juan Islands and back (multi-part)

Post by Colin »

Dan, do you have a place to stay in the San Juans?
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
danno2000
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N270DS
Airports: KAQW

Re: Northern route cross-country from western MA to San Juan Islands and back (multi-part)

Post by danno2000 »

Picking back up from Billings, I got a super-early start. Winds aloft were favorable and I wanted to follow the guidance of having mountain flying done by noon. Got to the FBO around 5 am, preflighted and briefed, wheels up a little after 6 with sunrise at 6:30 or so. Flew VFR but planned to follow Victor and Tango airways both for obstacle avoidance and in case I needed to get a pop-up IFR clearance. Track went west to Livington, then northwest to Helena, west to Missoula, then along I-90 to Coeur d'Alene for my fuel stop.

Just gorgeous scenery the whole way out. Crazy Mountains from 10,500 feet.
Crazy Mountains.jpg
Beartooths at sunrise:
Beartooth Mountains.jpg
Salt Lake Center radio reception was a bit fuzzy even at 10,500 but I never had the extent of problems that mhoran experienced. Lost radar contact a couple times, but Helena had me do position reports. Didn't really have any mountain wave turbulence over western Montana and even had a very slight tailwind some of the way. 10,500 worked the whole way without any real drama. Weather was perfect.

Landed KCOE Coeur d'Alene, which was a bit of a funky setup as the self-serve pumps were in the middle of the field and far from the FBO. My plane typically gives me one good hot start and then gets temperamental, so I just walked over to a repair shop on the field, talked to some folks and hung out there while planning the next leg. Filed IFR for 8,000 feet, with a southwest routing to roughly follow Snoqualmie Pass en route to KBFI Boeing Field.

Weather west of the Cascades was clear and a thousand, with nice views of the Columbia Gorge:
Columbia Gorge.jpg
but over the Cascades, there was a nice wall of clouds. It probably won't be evident from this picture, but the base of Rainier is sitting there in between the layers:
Cascades westbound.jpg
8,000 was good and smooth but the V2 airway westbound wanted a climb, so Seattle approach asked if I could accept 10,000. I said I could, but as I climbed, it became evident that I would be scraping the bottom of the cloud layer with an outside temperature right around 0 to +1 C. I had outs back to the east with no problem so I gave it a try - turned out the layer was thin and fleeting. Boeing was landing north so I asked for and got the RNAV 32L. Kept my speed up, broke out just after the final approach fix, relatively uneventful landing.

I stayed a day in Seattle, got in touch with friends, and then headed up to S31 Lopez Island in the San Juans for a couple days. It was a great day and I got a good view of downtown on the climb-out.
Seattle BFI.jpg
Lopez is a lovely island, very quiet, mostly farms, with great scenery. And oh, the blackberries! There were so many bushes just bursting with ripe berries begging to be picked. I did a full island bike trip and didn't even need to pack any food - just stopped by the side of roads and feasted for a while. On the way back, I did a quick hop to KFHR Friday Harbor, lunched on salmon chowder, and then scud-ran Puget Sound at about 2,000 feet back to KBFI.

(Note to self: always research Class B airspace before you travel. It turned out that there were a bunch of VFR arrival procedures that are on the back of the flyway chart, which is not the sort of thing I had the wherewithal to pull up mid-flight. Afterward I looked and it would've been a beautiful approach, although to its credit Boeing Tower didn't flinch in just giving me a straight-in southbound.)

I spent another couple days with friends there before declaring the mission a success and starting to wend my way back. But first, I decided I wanted at least a little bit of a side trip.

Next: Portland and the way eastward.
Fanta$01
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: James
Aircraft Type: DA20
Aircraft Registration: N405FP
Airports: LAX

Post by Fanta$01 »

Nature's artwork at its finest.😲