2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N905PA
Airports: KDWH

DPA Fly-In, Nov 4, 2023 10am-Noon @ T82

Post by saramse »

Fly-In, Nov 4, 2023 10am-Noon @ T82, Gillespie County, TX

All Diamond pilots and owners are invited to join the Diamond Pilots Assoc. (DPA) for our inaugural SC Region event as we “time travel” back to the 40’s and 50’s

Breakfast in an authentic replica of a 1950’s Diner adjacent to The Hangar Hotel

Tour of The National Museum of the Pacific War after breakfast, transportation provided to/from T82
(Rare WW II aircraft, wartime artifacts, Doolittle and Nimitz battle stories & displays)

See diamond-pilots.org/events for more details
RSVP To: scott.ramsey@diamond-pilots.org
Attachments
Hangar Hotel.jpg
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: DPA Fly-In, Nov 4, 2023 10am-Noon @ T82

Post by Steve »

Wish I could come. Only about 36 NM from my home field, but we will be in Pensacola for the Blue Angels' Homecoming airshow (we go every year). The Airport Diner is one of my favorite $100 Hamburger places. The Museum is incredible. You could spend several days there. Lots of unique artifacts of the war in the Pacific there - a Japanese mini-sub that attacked Pearl Harbor, a real PT boat, numerous WWII aircraft, a replica South Pacific island battlefield complete with tanks, etc. Also make sure to visit the Japanese Peace Garden adjacent to the museum.

Fredericksburg also has about a hundred wineries within 10 miles of downtown. One of the nicest for tours and tasting is Becker Vineyards, about 5 miles out of town. It is located adjacent to the Stonewall (STV) Vortac. I know Dr. Becker, and if you run into him at the winery, he is interested in aviation.

Hope to meet you guys next time...
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

The other cool thing nearby Fredericksburg that I forgot to mention is Enchanted Rock:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/enchanted-rock

A plutonic laccolith, it has great hiking, rock climbing, and even a cave you can explore. It is about 17 miles North of Fredericksburg. If you can't make it there on the ground, it makes for a great photo op from the air. Fly 002 departing T82 and you will go right over it.
Enchanted Rock, 3500 feet
Enchanted Rock, 3500 feet
saramse
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N905PA
Airports: KDWH

Post by saramse »

This event is CANCELLED due to lack of participation. Hopefully I'll see more of you at our Fly-ins in 2024 (Watch for the schedule soon)!