Hydraulic reservoir capacity (landing gear system)

Any DA42 related topics.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Hydraulic reservoir capacity (landing gear system)

Post by TwinStarScott »

Does anyone happen know the approximate total capacity of the hydraulic reservoir (ipc 32-30) for the landing gear system? I’ve checked both the IPC and maintenance manual for the DA42 TDI with no luck, so far. . .
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Re: Hydraulic reservoir capacity (landing gear system)

Post by chili4way »

Hey Scott, does the below help?

DA42-Hydraulic.png
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

It sure does, thank you very much Paul!

As I’ve found it can come in handy to have an oil pump gun*, with a long dispensing hose, for topping off the 5606 reservoir during annual inspections / gear swings. On that note, I’ve learned recently from a local fluid’s distributor is that 5606 is less expensive when bought in quarts. Rather than buying a gallon container, which is noticeably more costly (per quart). Although, this isn’t quite an apples-to-apples comparison, as the gallon container this company carries is 5606A and the quarts (Phillips 66) is 5606J. This source went on to say that newer versions of 5606, such as 5606H, 5606I , 5606J, etc., is “backwards compatible”.

ALSO:
*If anyone has a pump gun they can recommend, this might be helpful for others too. As I’m not finding one quite to my liking on Amazon. A company by the name of OilSafe www.oilsafe.com makes some very quality dispensing equipment - yet are very pricey (in the $200 range).

https://www.oilsafe.com/products/lubric ... equipment/
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

TwinStarScott wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:57 pm
A company by the name of OilSafe www.oilsafe.com makes some very quality dispensing equipment - yet are very pricey (in the $200 range).
Expensive is very relative… $200 buys you 2 landing & handling fees at average European airport.
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Karl »

TwinStarScott wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:57 pm It sure does, thank you very much Paul!

As I’ve found it can come in handy to have an oil pump gun*, with a long dispensing hose, for topping off the 5606 reservoir during annual inspections / gear swings. On that note, I’ve learned recently from a local fluid’s distributor is that 5606 is less expensive when bought in quarts. Rather than buying a gallon container, which is noticeably more costly (per quart). Although, this isn’t quite an apples-to-apples comparison, as the gallon container this company carries is 5606A and the quarts (Phillips 66) is 5606J. This source went on to say that newer versions of 5606, such as 5606H, 5606I , 5606J, etc., is “backwards compatible”.

ALSO:
*If anyone has a pump gun they can recommend, this might be helpful for others too. As I’m not finding one quite to my liking on Amazon. A company by the name of OilSafe www.oilsafe.com makes some very quality dispensing equipment - yet are very pricey (in the $200 range).

https://www.oilsafe.com/products/lubric ... equipment/
For top ups all you need is something like this.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-02-16 095255.png