1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Cory
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: n701ab
Airports:

DA42 NG non-SBAS PBN

Post by cttime »

I've been trying to get this info out of Diamond but haven't been successful. I "know" what PBN codes are applicable, but Diamond hasn't actually written anywhere in the AFM what capabilities/approvals the non-SBAS 42NG has.

Chapter 2 states that "RNP RNAV operations are not authorized, except as noted in Chapter 1 of this AFM."
but look in Chapter 1 and there is nothing there.

If you were to look in a TDI AFM it lists out what requirements it complies with (FAA AC and EASA AMC) and if you have the A33 supplement (SBAS/P-RNAV) it has a nice table... but the non-SBAS 42NG has nothing.

The EASA regulations (NCO.IDE.A.195 for instance) say that this information has to be in the AFM (or other docs listed in the GM1). Since this info isn't listed my understanding is you can't use a 42NG for any RNP specification.

Diamond sent me an Excel file listing the capabilities but this isn't official (iaw with the GM1) documentation.
MarkO
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ZKDIA
Airports: NZQN

Re: DA42 NG non-SBAS PBN

Post by MarkO »

Hi Cory

An RNP approval is issued by the State, not by an aircraft manufacturer. The requirements will be included in the State's rules, in our case, by AC91-21, which says for legacy aircraft (includes DA42 & DA62) -

"If a statement of compliance with any of the following specifications or standards is found in the acceptable documentation as listed above, the aircraft is eligible for RNP1 operations." One of the specifications included is FAA AC 90-105, among others. (I have just chosen one example to keep this brief - note the acceptable documentation includes the airplane FCOM).

There will be Supp for the DA42 (for the DA62, it is Supp A33) that includes a table of compliance with various reference documents that include FAA AC 90-105, among others.

This says the aircraft complies with the AC for operations for RNP1, RNP APCH LNAV, RNP APCH LNAV/VNAV etc.

Note that SBAS is not a requirement for RNP1 approval. In New Zealand, for example, we don't yet have SBAS (coming in 2028). The AC goes on to say that LNAV approaches using vertical guidance are not permitted. Therefore, we can only use LNAV minima, not LPV or LNAV/VNAV minima.

I hope this is of some help, but if you are still unsure, you could call your regulator, and I'm confident that you will be assured that the DA42 is compliant with RNP1 requirements with or without SBAS.

Cheers Mark
cttime
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
Airports:

Post by cttime »

Approval was the wrong word to use. You are correct that the aircraft doesn't require approval, only compliance with the specification and a statement by the TC or STC holder that it complies with said specification(s).
MarkO wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:41 pm

There will be Supp for the DA42 (for the DA62, it is Supp A33) that includes a table of compliance with various reference documents that include FAA AC 90-105, among others.

Cheers Mark
This only applies to SBAS-equipped aircraft. The A33 supplement has no applicability to non-SBAS aircraft.

Which is exactly the issue I'm trying to point out. A non-SBAS 42NG has no statement of compliance with any PBN specifications in the AFM. Compare Chapter 1.8 for the 42 TDI vs NG.

Page 1-22 and 1-23 in the TDI AFM
DA42TDI.png
Page 1-21 NG
DA42NG.png
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

cttime wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:36 pm A non-SBAS 42NG has no statement of compliance with any PBN specifications in the AFM. Compare Chapter 1.8 for the 42 TDI vs NG.
I'm not sure whether there's any PBN related info in DAI's STC for upgrading GIA63 to GIA63W.

I checked old flight plans - I used SDFGRY and PBN/B2D2O2S1. After WAAS upgrade I changed it to SBDFGRY and PBN/B2D2O2S1.
cttime
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
Airports:

Post by cttime »

ememic99 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:27 pm DAI's STC for upgrading GIA63 to GIA63W.
I assume you are referring to the SBAS conversion? Not sure why one would install 63W otherwise. In those cases, the A33 supplement would apply, but this isn't the case I am referring to.

I'm fully aware of what a non-SBAS G1000 is capable of but Diamond hasn't provided the information required to be in compliance with Part-NCO. Garmin used to host the excel table below on their website which gives you a very good idea of what it can do but this is not acceptable according to the GM1 to IDE.A.195.
Untitled.png
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

cttime wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:42 pm
ememic99 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:27 pm DAI's STC for upgrading GIA63 to GIA63W.
I assume you are referring to the SBAS conversion? Not sure why one would install 63W otherwise. In those cases, the A33 supplement would apply, but this isn't the case I am referring to.
Yes, I’m referring to SBAS upgrade. A33 supplement would apply but I haven’t found this info specifically written in any document released by DAI. Maybe I missed it but legally the situation is the same as for non-SBAS G1000 - there’s no POH reference.
cttime wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:42 pm I'm fully aware of what a non-SBAS G1000 is capable of but Diamond hasn't provided the information required to be in compliance with Part-NCO. Garmin used to host the excel table below on their website which gives you a very good idea of what it can do but this is not acceptable according to the GM1 to IDE.A.195.
Who checks this acceptability and based on which criteria? IMO having certified equipment in certified aircraft assumes that this equipment works according to its capabilities which means you can specify these capabilities wherever it’s required e.g. flight plan.
cttime
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
Airports:

Post by cttime »

ememic99 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:58 am Maybe I missed it but legally the situation is the same as for non-SBAS G1000 - there’s no POH reference.
Strictly speaking, the A33 supplement is part of the AFM for that individual aircraft and therefore fulfills the requirement. It is also a document produced/released by DAI.
ememic99 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:58 am Who checks this acceptability and based on which criteria?
The regulator, in this case EASA, decides what documentation is acceptable. The GM1 I've mentioned several times tells you exactly what documentation is acceptable and which criteria/specifications provide eligibility for specific PBN operations.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/document- ... c256002636