3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Re: DA62 Options Selection

Post by VickersPilot »

Fred, would you mind sharing the cost and operational limitations of the ferry tank solution? Anyone know if it’s a relatively clean setup that can be left piped in semi-permanent? Could be fun!
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N172KJ
Airports: KARR

Post by Fred Claus »

VickersPilot wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:37 pm Fred, would you mind sharing the cost and operational limitations of the ferry tank solution? Anyone know if it’s a relatively clean setup that can be left piped in semi-permanent? Could be fun!
You bet. The cost I was quoted was 1,200 euros. I don't know about the operational limitations. A quick search seems to suggest that there are several options for ferry tanks, all third party. They presumably come in varying sizes and materials (metal tanks vs rubber-like "bags").
sedatedokc
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Christopher
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: LNSMF
Airports: ENGM

Post by sedatedokc »

I received a new DA42 in Europe last year and will provide input based on my experience.

Honeywell KN 63 remote DME - I can't comment on USA need. Must in Europe.

Becker 3500 remote ADF - No

WX500 Stormscope - No, get the radar + satellite

Avidyne TAS 605 - It has been discussed a lot on the forums, do a search. Some of the most competent say it is not necessary in USA with so much ADS-B. As I personally do not fly in busy uncontrolled airspace, I regret getting it. If I was flying out of a busy uncontrolled airport I would want it.

Garmin GWX 70 weather radar - Yes (make sure you are getting the 75)

Garmin GCU 476 Keypad - I personally can't see the need for this when you have flight stream from the iPad. Personal preference.

Garmin Synthetic Vision Technology (SVT) - Absolute must Have for situational awareness.

Garmin GTX 345R ADS-B in/out Transponder - Yes

I can't comment on the satellite options for USA, but I am very glad to have satellite data for long range flight planning.

As for the other options:

-I did not get oxygen and I have the Inogen concentrators instead. I and everyone else seems to be very happy with them. Lighter, cheaper. No hassle of oxygen refills or inspections. Just charge a laptop size battery instead. Only downside is more clutter in the airplane.

-I bought all the covers. As I use a hangar at my home base and they take a lot of space while traveling (more limited in DA42) I have never used them yet.