4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Re: DA62 Options Selection

Post by Soareyes »

Bryce wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:08 am Mine is in production now (so I'm told), and didn't order the preheater. My dealer said it's a waste of money since the engines start in temps down to something like -20°F or some crazy low temp, without preheat. I live in Reno and when I returned home from Scottsdale this afternoon it was 35 degrees at my field. Are the preheaters necessary, or was my dealer correct in saying to skip them?
I live in Florida. I wish I had preheaters. Not because the engines need them but because the heavy iron blocks take so long to get warm enough to even do a run-up. I think about preheaters while sitting on the ramp in 70F weather with engines idling for 15+ minutes. Yeah, I check my watch at stop lights too. :tap:
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Bryce wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:08 am Mine is in production now (so I'm told), and didn't order the preheater. My dealer said it's a waste of money since the engines start in temps down to something like -20°F or some crazy low temp, without preheat. I live in Reno and when I returned home from Scottsdale this afternoon it was 35 degrees at my field. Are the preheaters necessary, or was my dealer correct in saying to skip them?

Thanks,
Bryce
Define need. Modern car diesels do not need engine heaters very often. But from a practical point of view, efficient diesel engines take a very long time to get up to operating temperature.
Therefore I would install engine pre-heaters for the following reasons:
1. Engine oil is thicker and will have more wear on the engine when starting cold. May or may not be material.
2. Cold engines take a lot more power to start; this places a much higher draw on the battery. You only get so many cycles on these batteries, and the harder you use them the shorter the batteries last.
3. Wait time; that engine takes a long time to get to operating temperature.
4. The weight of the engine pre-heaters is less than the hamburger meal I had for lunch (or close enough). I would rather skip the hamburger.

There might be other reasons to do so; but that is what I would go with.

Tim
MarkO
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: ZKDIA
Airports: NZQN

Post by MarkO »

I have the pre-heaters. Even on a cold day, the engines don't use the glow plugs to start. It still takes quite a while for the temperatures to get into the green range. It only saves a few minutes overall, but it is probably better for the engine.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Soareyes wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:23 pm
I live in Florida. I wish I had preheaters. Not because the engines need them but because the heavy iron blocks take so long to get warm enough to even do a run-up. I think about preheaters while sitting on the ramp in 70F weather with engines idling for 15+ minutes. Yeah, I check my watch at stop lights too. :tap:
It was 33˚ yesterday when I came out of the hangar. It did not take 15min to warm up for the ECU test. The engines can be run at up to 50% power before the ECU check. When it's cold I leave the engines at 10% - 15% while I pull the ATIS. Then I taxi to the runup, and again leave them at 10-15% while I get my clearance.

I understand your point, but to my mind it's just one more accessory to maintain.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I would not purchase these options:

Honeywell KN 63 remote DME
- In the U.S., ILS's and DME's are being discontinued at a rapid pace. This is the stated policy of the FAA as they minimize ground based navaids and will only support the MON. Numerous ILS's have a NOTAM that says the plane must have GPS to fly the ILS because the DME is inop. So why not just fly the RNAV?

Becker 3500 remote ADF
- I think you would be pressed to find 10 NDB's in the U.S.

WX500 Stormscope
- GWX75/8000 is much better. If you have extra money use it on a Sirius XM subscription for lightning.

Avidyne TAS 605 traffic advisory system
- Heavy traffic is mostly around Bravos where ADSB is already required. File IFR and ATC will identify the primary targets.

Garmin GSR 56 Iridium satellite datalink (subscription required)
- Very doubtful that Iridium will be the leading product for the next 15. Half the time my cell phone has a signal.

Garmin GCU 476 Keypad
- It's an entirely different UI than the PFD/MFD so you need to train for two different button push sequences. When the going gets tough, which one will you remember and use?

Diamond Airframe and Engine Program by Piston PowerTM
- Definitely not. It's a very constrained savings account with a negative interest rate

Professional sunshades for PAX row 2 and PAX row 3
- I saw these on an MPP at the factory and they looked very good, but you'll still end up buying JetShades for the pilot and co-pilot.

Seating configuration 3rd row
- The 2nd row seats are horribly uncomfortable, and two adults will not be happy for long in the 3rd row. Do some W&B calcs. It only makes sense if your mission is to haul a lot of people with no baggage a short distance.

Power supply 12V & Provisions for Ferry Tank
- Not needed unless you plan to fly around the world.

Diamond Premium Interior - Sport
- It's a question of personal style

Canopy Cover- and nosecover (grey)
Engine Cover (1 pair, grey)
- I've never seen these, but I've had two different covers from Bruce's. Bruce's has excellent customer service and a quality product.

Not on your list that you should buy:
- Mountain High O2D2 regulator(s), boom cannula's, and 1st stage regulator to adapt to the onboard O2 outlets
- BestTug B5
- Austo engine dongle and either a dedicated cheap laptop, or plan to carry another laptop with you
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

Just a small correction. VORs are being decommissioned wildly by the FAA. DMEs not! DME is a key component for inertial navigators. They can align themselves using DME/DME only, in case GPS is out. Some old airplanes don't even have GPS receivers.

For us bug smashers, a DME without a VOR is kind of useless though.
Ifly
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Clem
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: OOFBP
Airports: EBKT

Post by Ifly »

I almost agree with Jast but this items: (my observations in IN CAPITALS)
jast wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:06 pm Here would be my thoughts:

Other Options
Air conditioning/RACC II system (powered by an additional alternator) - nice2have. Positively influences W&B if you fly often with 1-2 people only. VERY HEAVY
Oxygen System - Must have I BOUGHT 2 BOTTLES OF OXYGEN, MORE SIMPLE FOR REFILL
Built-in tablet mount provisions (A-columns) - Must have I TOOK THEM BUT I REGRET
Professional sunshades for PAX row 2 and PAX row 3 COMPLETELY USELESS
Seating configuration 3rd row - must have for flexibility. Often it’s nicer to sit 5 people in 2/2/1 with kids/small people in the rear
YES BUT YOUR BALANCE AND WEIGHT AND FUEL FILL ARE GOING TO GIVE YOU A HEADACHE AND NO LUGGAGE
Good luck !
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Registration: N172KJ
Airports: KARR

Post by Fred Claus »

Thank you all for your detailed and thought out answer. I sincerely appreciate it! I have gone through all of your comments and arrived at the revised list below. I have also added commentary in italics at the end of many of the line items. Please let me know if this seems like an accurate representation of the general sentiment amongst owners/enthusiasts. If I'm missing anything crucial, please let me know.

Main Options:
- Avidyne TAS 605 traffic advisory system
- Garmin GWX 70 weather radar - Will this automatically be upgraded to a GWX 75 even if contract made in 2022 stated GWX 70
- GCU 476 Keypad - Diamond rep said this is a love or hate item. I'll have to noodle on it
- Garmin Synthetic Vision Technology (SVT) - Must have
- Garmin GTX 345R ADS-B in/out Transponder - Not optional for my home airport
- Garmin GDL 69A satellite data link receiver (subscription required, regional restrictions)

Other Options:
- Air conditioning/RACC II system (powered by an additional alternator) - US market will demand this for resale IMO
- TKS Deicing System - Must have
- Oxygen System - Prefer built in
- Built-in tablet mount provisions (A-columns) - Understand Austria has historically added the bracket needed. Is there considerable risk in banking on that?
- Removable right hand control stick - Makes sense for my intended use
- Professional sunshades for PAX row 2 and PAX row 3 - Will inquire about business seating + 3rd row. Backup will be to buy 7 seater, remove row 3 until resale
- Power supply 12V & Provisions for Ferry Tank - Undecided. Will probably get it if low cost

Additional Items to Purchase (from 3rd parties)
- Mountain High O2D2 regulator(s)
- boom cannula's
- 1st stage regulator to adapt to the onboard O2 outlets
- BestTug B5
- Austo engine dongle and either a dedicated cheap laptop, or plan to carry another laptop

Unecessary items
- Honeywell KN 63 remote DME
- Becker 3500 remote ADF
- WX500 Stormscope
- Garmin GSR 56 Iridium satellite datalink (subscription required)
- Diamond Airframe and Engine Program by Piston PowerTM
- Canopy Cover- and nosecover (grey)
- Engine Cover (1 pair, grey)
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

I wouldn’t say DME is unnecessary item. However, it depends on region - in Europe it’s a must for any serious IFR flying. You can’t simply take GPS distance instead of DME if it’s part of certain procedure.
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Registration: N172KJ
Airports: KARR

Post by Fred Claus »

The DME is ~$15,000. So if I won't need it in the US, I do hope to avoid that cost unless it is a necessary piece of equipment needed for the ferry flight.