1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: CFAJH
Airports: lake

DA42 vs BeechA36 or Cirrus for long distance

Post by Roxiedog13 »

As the heading says, I’m thinking about flying abroad, possibly crossing the Atlantic and I’m wondering if others have done the same with the DA 42. I’m considering high-speed singles as options but the thought of flying over open Water long distance, IFR, and night flying make pause and give thought for a twin engine option. If others have travelled great distances with the DA 42 and can share some of their thoughts and experiences it would be greatly appreciated. I don’t have a twin engine rating, nor IFR, that is going to happen over the winter months . I have about 1000 hours PIC fixed wing singles, mostly bush/float flying to be honest. Next week I’ll be checking out a DA 42, I don’t expect to purchased immediately, but that could happen. I’m more likely to check out the alternatives first, spend the winter compiling data on all of the alternatives, the costs, insurance, and other complications that could arise during international travel. So please do add any comments, all would be appreciated. I love to have as much feedback as possible, positive and or negative it all helps.
Cheers. Robert
sedatedokc
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Christopher
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: LNSMF
Airports: ENGM

Re: DA42 vs BeechA36 or Cirrus for long distance

Post by sedatedokc »

I received my DA42 a little over a year ago, I have been flying all over Europe, from North Norway to Malta. I am very happy with my DA42, and very glad to have two quiet FADEC liquid cooled Jet fuelled engines. A noisy Cirrus, having to find AVGAS (and icing on the fixed landing gear?) is not appealing to me. Depreciation also seems to be much kinder to Diamonds than to Cirrus.

When doing your cost comparison, one thing I can think to mention is while the DA42 sips fuel, the engines are now TBR, not TBO (they need to be replaced at 1800 instead of overhauled) which does increase my hourly compared to what was in my original planning.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

If your travel requires overwater operations for any distance, I would recommend a piston twin over a piston single. I would recommend a turboprop over any piston aircraft (single or twin) for overwater operations. I used to own a Cirrus and I found it to be very comfortable for long distance travel but I would not fly a piston single (any of them) across the Atlantic. I have only flown in a Bo a few times so will defer to others on it.

I did my multi training in a DA42 and my initial impression was that it would not be particularly comfortable for a long day of flying - which is one reason that I bought the 62 instead. However, you should also fly each of them and form your own opinions as to comfort. The 42 basically has a DA40-sized cabin, whereas I find the 62 to be much more comfortable and spacious.

Good luck!
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

I have demoed and flown in a DA-42 a number of times. I have owned a SR20 and SR22, and spent a lot of time in Bonanzas.
For travel outside of the USA, the DA-42 wins every single time from a fuel availability standpoint. From a comfort perspective, a SR22 is if not the loudest SEP in the mass market, it is dam close. The Bonanza is only a couple decibels lower in volume.
Having owned an Aerostar (pressurized piston twin), having the engines and prop far away from the cabin significantly reduces the noise and vibration. Until you start doing longer distance flights at the lower noise and vibrations, you do not realize how much they cause fatigue. Further, the MB based engines in the DA-42 are much smoother, quiet in comparison to the avgas variants.

I have not done the calculation in a few years, but previously the OpEx including fuel, engine/prop reserve, insurance, databases... Basically everything but the capital acquisition costs, the SR22 and the DA-42 are within a couple bucks of each other; or you could say within the margin of error of my ability to gather and use the data. I even compared my baseline numbers and approach to one used by one of the dealers on here; Great something or other if memory serves.

The acquisition costs are where Cirrus and Bonanza can beat the DA-42. Secondly. both the Cirrus and Bonanza are more common so if you run into AOG issues, it is easier to get work done.

If I could swing it, I would be going DA-42 all the way.

Good luck, and enjoy it!

Tim
Roxiedog13
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Registration: CFAJH
Airports: lake

Post by Roxiedog13 »

So much great feedback, thank you very much. I didn’t give much thought to the noise level of the twin, to be honest, I assumed it would be louder, so your experience feedback on this matter is wonderful. My wife will be happy, this is a question she asked so I can now explain the differences in noise levels and share that the comfort level, from noise fatigue and vibration will be less.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

I also came from a Cirrus to a DA62. I did my multi rating on an Austro DA42. The DA 42/62 is MUCH quieter than the Cirrus, and more importantly, much less vibration. That makes a significant difference on a long trip. It’s not jet silent or smooth of course, but it’s a decent middle ground.
sedatedokc
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by sedatedokc »

There is an enormous benefit to the quietness of the Austro engines, which I only grew to appreciate. I could not go back to AVGAS engines.

One small comment, regarding DA40 vs DA42. They are the same cabin size, but not same in comfort. I cannot fit comfortably in a DA40 at all. But premium interior options are available for the DA42 which, for me, make a big difference and I am often doing 3-5 hour flights in my DA42.
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

I came from an SR22 to a DA42. My thoughts:

- While a lot of people praise the Austro engines, I have had a lot of trouble with them... thermostat, prop governor, wastegate actuator. Getting parts from Austro is a pain, so I end up carrying a lot of spare parts. While it's a very manageable plane single engine, you REALLY need to make sure you're comfortable single engine, there's a nontrivial chance that you'll end up actually having to land with one.

- That said, quietness of the engines is nice, FADEC is nice, and fuel availability is unbeatable. I flew my DA42 around the world with almost 0 issues with fuel. So easy.

- The comfort on the DA42 SUCKS. I am 6'2" and barely fit. I spent a fortune (~$15k) adding reclining seats because I couldn't fit otherwise. Oregon Aero seat cushions are mandatory, the seats are like a steel frame otherwise. My head hits the canopy in turbulence. the DA62 solves most of this, but is also 3x the price on the used market ! The SR22 is downright cavernous by comparison.

My verdict...
- SR22 hands down if Avgas availability is not an issue, and you're staying over hospitable terrain for most of the flights. It's a much more comfortable cabin inside. (That said if a DA62 is in the budget, you can ignore the cabin comfort issue.)
- DA42/62 if you're routinely flying to remote places where no Avgas is available.
- DA42/62 if flying over open ocean regularly.
sedatedokc
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by sedatedokc »

michael.g.miller wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:48 am
- The comfort on the DA42 SUCKS. I am 6'2" and barely fit. I spent a fortune (~$15k) adding reclining seats because I couldn't fit otherwise. Oregon Aero seat cushions are mandatory, the seats are like a steel frame otherwise. My head hits the canopy in turbulence. the DA62 solves most of this, but is also 3x the price on the used market ! The SR22 is downright cavernous by comparison.
I believe DA42 comfort depends on the year and the interior chosen. I am also 6´2. I flew a DA40 that is from around 2010, and I was very uncomfortable, I wouldn't want to even train in one. However, beginning with the -VI model, the DA42 was then offered with premium seating options. I find it quite comfortable for long trips (of course, a DA62 would be even better.)

So from my experience, there is a big comfort difference in the older DA42 models which were more tailored to only flight schools, and the newer -VI model which is available with premium exterior and interior options for private owners.
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

For me the comfort is mostly about space and legroom rather than seat comfort. My interior was upgraded at the London factory, when I added reclining seats. The upgraded seats themselves aren't bad, especially with an Oregon Aero cushion. But my head touches the canopy with a headset, and I need to hunch in turbulence. I can't extend my legs fully. I am always shoulder-to-shoulder with the person next to me, no center console armrest.

I've sat in planes with the "bubble canopy" and while it helps a bit, it is really a far cry from the SR22 comfort. The DA62's interior is more on par with what you'd expect coming from an SR22.