4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Into my first annual with my 62….impressions

Post by MackAttack »

Just dropped off my 62 at Premier (KFTW) for its first annual. I took delivery Feb 2023, but the aircraft got its A/W certificate on 12/30/22, so I needed the annual done by 12/31. About 155-160 hours TT on the meter. I did initial training for a bit then was preparing for and in a big trial through May, then retired from practicing law on June 1. As a result, most of my 2023 flying (other than the training and a few short flights) has been since 6/1, and I’ve been a busy pilot since then.

Overall impression - love the plane. Love flying it, love landing it, and am enjoying flying down low again (had been flying a Piper M600 in the flight levels for several years, which we just sold last week - loved that plane too!). Definitely prefer the G3000 to the G1000, but that’s really a quibble as the functionality is similar (waiting on Phase 3 and visual approaches like everyone else). Have been without a radar since delivery but getting a GWX75 installed during the annual and will get the GWX8000 upgrade once Phase 3 is out (prepaid for both). I didn’t mind flying without them but would prefer not to go through another spring/summer storm season in Texas and the southeast relying solely on ADSB and XM radar …

Reliability and dispatch have been excellent. Oil consumption has been low but steady (did the 100 hour oil change, no issues). I think since I took delivery, I’ve added a total of 1-1.5 quarts/side during normal ops. Note that my engines were not on the SB list of engines making metal so no issue there. No issues with the interior, switches, lighting, climate, seats, etc. Build quality and finish have been great. A bit of the striping on the R aux tank filler cap has started to peel back which they will fix. Also, had a paint chip come off on the top of the R engine, which they will address at the annual.

I’ve had a few squawks along the way, including 3 sensor failures that are being fixed during annual: left aux tank fuel sender is inop (shows 1 gallon in the L aux tank at all times but the tank operates normally), passenger door sensor intermittently and then continuously displays the R DOOR OPEN error message whenever the weight is off the wheels (although its fully closed and latched and operates just fine), and most recently (last week during an Angel Flight which caused me to abort shortly after departure with pax and RTB), a R ENGINE COOLANT TEMP warning message (with the gauge showing red but no R COOLANT LEVEL LO message and no leaks). Had to put my pax on a Southwest flight to Memphis while I troubleshot the issue and determined it was, in fact, a bad sensor. Fortunately, that was just a few days before the annual so I flew it up to Fort Worth with it bitching at me but no actual engine issue. A few other minor squawks, most notably the cable disconnected from the GDU keypad so that’s been inop for some time (I didn’t really use it anyway but it was a “nice to have” item). That will also be fixed.

We had to reprogram the G1000NXi a few months ago because it was sent from the factory with the wrong codes and I was unable to update the databases. That necessitated a trip to KFTW to sort out - done with the oil change.

In short, there have been a few teething issues, not uncommon to have some with a brand new plane and its just wrapping up the first year of its warranty so I expect the annual cost to be relatively low (certainly better than the $65000 annual we had in August with our M600, but that included a prop overhaul, FCU overhaul and the optional NLG upgrade). The flying experience, including comfort and low noise levels, has been outstanding. I’m so happy that I bought this plane. I’ve done a few long trips in it (800+ nm legs) and it’s really been awesome to fly. Pax love it too - I get lots of compliments from both pilots and non-pilots alike. Had an M2 pilot crawl all over it with “ooohs” and “ahhhhs” in El Paso not long ago (great guy and we had a great pilot bull session for over an hour; one of the pluses of our aviation community!). My Angel Flight pax tell me its very comfortable and that’s even with the non-reclining back seats designed by those grumpy Austrian nuns with an upright posture fixation! :) My sheepskin covers made a big difference, I think.

Overall very happy. Would have preferred no “new plane squawks” but there will always be some and Premier has been very responsive. Haven’t had to deal with DAI on the plane yet. I will report back on how the annual goes including cost once it’s all sorted out. But so far, I’ve been a happy camper/pilot!

Cheers
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Re: Into my first annual with my 62….impressions

Post by VickersPilot »

Sounds like a fabulous ownership story. Tell us more about the 800nm+ legs comfort and fuel planning? Not sure why but I never seem to exceed 600-650nm.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by MackAttack »

Not much to tell … after about 4 hours you’re ready to get out of course (but that’s true of basically any plane, including my M600 in which I routinely did 5-hour+ legs). I routinely fly to and from El Paso (about 570 nm each way) for Angel Flights, for example. My two longest trips in the 62 were to eastern Iowa on the way to OSH (NW Arkansas stop on the way back), and Knoxville-Houston (both ways in one day, 9.3 TT r/t). The first trip was 3 200# pilots and the second was me and an Angel Flight passenger on the return leg, solo on the trip to KTYS. Topped off before departing each way. Winds weren’t a huge factor on these trips; the worst winds were en route to KTYS where for a couple hours I had to contend with a 15-20 knot headwind. I was able to land with a solid hour-plus. The OSH trips were in VMC with occasional periods of IMC; the Knoxville trip was pea soup and heavy rain for 90 minutes to KTYS and 3 hours on the way back, but little to no turbulence and I was down low to avoid ice (that trip was in November). I’m pretty sure I could go solo nonstop from Houston to St. Paul (my hometown), if I was willing to dial back the power settings a bit, but given how quick the turns are in these planes and no hot start issues, fuel stops aren’t a big deal or a big time consumer especially when you’re flying solo. Hope this helps; feel free to reach out by PM if you have more specific questions. The 62 is a terrific traveling machine.

PS - I should note that I’ve scratched a few trips due to weather; mostly Angel Flights on specific days/times with either serious convection in the terminal area or extensively along the route, and/or icing at flight altitudes. I don’t normally use the cannula and definitely don’t ask my Angel Flight passengers to wear it. One benefit of the M600 was the ability to get over almost all en route weather (obviously you can’t avoid terminal area weather). So the en route flight planning is a more important element with the DA62 than it would be with a pressurized turbine in the flight levels. Having said that, I damn near had to declare an emergency at FL290 in my M600 due to unforecasted bad ice just north of El Paso, which overwhelmed the de-ice systems; I had icicles sticking forward from the end of my de-ice boots and ice got going on the prop making the plane vibrate a lot. A quick descent to 17,000 solved the issue but I nearly had to declare to get down the last 3000’ because of a traffic conflict which fortunately resolved itself very shortly. Turbines aren’t a panacea in this respect but the en route phase is usually less of a weather-driven exercise as you can see the convection and normally weave around it whereas at 12,000 and below your ability to do so is more limited.
Flyingferg
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: CFERG
Airports: CYPQ

Post by Flyingferg »

You have given a nice write up on your first year experiences with the plane.

My 62 was delivered on Dec. 8, 22 and now has 175 hrs on it. It just came back from Diamond Factory London from its first annual. It had the Beringer wheels and brakes installed during the annual. I think my plane serial C049 was one of the last planes coming off the line without Beringer brakes and also with the GWX 70 radar installed. I wish I was able to get the new radar system. My plane also had a few squawks over the first year that Diamond got rectified for me. I am based in Ontario about an hour flight to London so they are convenient for me. I love the plane and my only real gripe is I don’t think the cabin heat works very well. The heat in my previous Cessna 182 worked much better.

Enjoy your plane.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by MackAttack »

Thanks - I haven’t had to use the heat much (living as I do in southeast Texas) but I have noticed that it’s not particularly hot. Glad your annual went well!

Cheers
DerekM
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Derek
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: GPDN
Airports: CYTZ CNT7

Post by DerekM »

Not enough heat is frustrating in an expensive new machine. Is there an after market heater you could install?
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by MackAttack »

Not aware of one. The relevant systems seem very integrated. It does warm up the cabin enough for my missions but others in much colder climates may have different experiences.
Jody
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jody
Aircraft Registration: N119DA
Airports: KHHR

Post by Jody »

I'm so glad to hear you've had a good experience with your Diamond. My DA62 is three years old now and has almost 650 hours on it. I get mine serviced at Premier in KFTW too (I take it there from California!) and have had very good experiences with them and their work so far. And I agree that Angel Flight patients love the plane!
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by MackAttack »

Thanks! And Hawthorne to Fort Worth is a long flight for service … but glad its worked out for you too! And always nice to find another Angel Flight devotee! Best flying that I do …

Cheers!
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by MackAttack »

Posting a quick update. It’s been nearly 7 weeks since I dropped off my 62 at Premier and the annual is STILL not completed. Despite alerting Premier for months that I wanted the radar installed, only just last week did the parts show up (and to Premier in Ft. Lauderdale, not Fort Worth). Worse still, sensors required from DAI in Austria have still not shipped. It’s at the point now where I won’t wait for at least the replacement aux tank fuel level sensor. Even considering the 10 days when the factory was closed for the holiday shutdown, this time period for an annual (no price yet, BTW) is unacceptable. I am very unhappy at this point. Communication has been terse and barely adequate. it’s going to wind up being a two month annual which is completely ridiculous for a piston aircraft without major issues and under warranty … so just FYI for what it’s worth.