XPlane Simulated ForeFlight and FlightStream Syncing

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Re: XPlane Simulated ForeFlight and FlightStream Syncing

Post by ingramleedy »

nworthin wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:57 pm
However, the point of this post is I just wanted to note that your cool app apparently only works with X-Plane 12. Whereas, the BATD only is certified to work with X-Plane 11. Not sure you were aware. I'm moving to XP12 more and more (there are certain things in XP11 that remain more stable) and I can certainly enter flight plans in XP11 for the fairly infrequent times I need to use the BATD.
Congrats on the DA62 and the DA50 sim! I thought I was the only crazy one to get a FAA SIM to practice.

I also use PilotEdge too. It's a must to get realistic ATC and makes the experience so much more real. I have found a lot of value from the Sim and gives me time to think thru the steps and to be better prepared in real life.

How can you put a price on safety? That's what I always ask myself to justify some of these things. Especially when I have the most precious family passengers on board.

RealSimGear put XPlane 11 and 12 on my system, and in Qualification and Approval Guide (QAG), section Hardware and Software Component List, it shows Xplane 11 and Xplane 12 as being certified for each RSG variant.

As of writing, the direct link to updated docs and the current versions of FAA certification are below:

https://help.realsimgear.com/en/article ... umentation
  • FAA LoA (Letter of Authorization) - dated February 3, 2023 (expires February 29, 2028)
  • QAG (Qualification and Approval Guide) - Version 1.2
  • RealSimGear Instruction and Operations Manual - Version 1.3

The IOS app only works on XPlane 12, as the feature set to allow UDP flight plan transfers was added to Xplane 12.

I like Xplane 12 for the main and basic functionality of practicing approaches (logging) and how you can setup events, but I tend to find myself using (disclaimer: for practice, not logging) Microsoft Flight Simulator. MSFS has a much better simulation of the G1000 NXI and its better feature set, like Holds. The weather radar for actual is much more accurate and the terrain data is better too (not that you're looking out the window/display). Hopefully Xplane will update the G1000 soon or RealSimGear could get the MSFS certified.
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

Thanks for this follow up. I was *told* that the BATD only works on X-Plane 11 and they only set it up that way! But, you are absolutely correct. It's in the printed docs that came with the system. I will get back in touch with them. Thanks.

I think I miscommunicated. I sold my DA-62 (with reluctance) and am now flying a Kodiak 100. Family got bigger and I bought a mountain lake home 500 miles away. Between wife, daughter and her husband, twin baby boys and two dogs (plus all the baby gear) the DA62, much as I loved that plane, just couldn't do the mission.

Finally, I must say, I have a very different opinion about MS Flight Sim. I have found lots of problems (more than X-Plane at least in the functionality I use) in the G1000 implementation (yes, I am using the enhanced version). And, the flight dynamics are really wrong (at least for the Kodiak). X-Plane isn't perfect but it's closer. However, I will give MSFT another shot.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

The DA62 is spectacular flying OEI on MSFS 2020. I wish the airplane performed like that for real. :P