Canada Barely Passes ICAO Audit

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Canada Barely Passes ICAO Audit

Post by NDCDA62 »

The below article probably sums up everything with regard to Transport Canada.

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/can ... 7134045E1U
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Re: Canada Barely Passes ICAO Audit

Post by Charles »

As a Canadian pilot since 2009, I have accumulated about 1500 hours mostly in my DA40 and I have always ensured that I scrupulously follow all the rules (medicals, currency, maintenance, insurance, etc.). But in all that time, I have never had a ramp check or any kind of verification that I am legal. I think that is one of the issues with the system: it relies too much on self-policing which, in my views, leaves too much room for deviations.

It is demonstrated that delegating safety to operators is good practice because it creates an internal responsibility to ensure compliance with all the rules. This internal responsibility is achieved by dedicating internal employees to safety, and the safety people are always at the table and are involved in all day to day decision-making. I was an exec at a large aircraft engine manufacturer and chaired the board of a large airport and, in both cases, safety was deeply ingrained into the company culture and the two organizations exhibited immaculate safety records. So I am convinced that this delegation of responsibility is far more effective than just relying on external TC audits for compliance. But both are needed because lack of policing leaves too much room for undetected non-compliance in companies under financial pressure or with unethical management.

For companies that take safety seriously, and the vast majority do, the ICAO findings have no bearing on their safety capabilities. And the (thankfully) privatized ATC that is run by NavCanada falls in that category. Given that, I'm not concerned about the safety of our aviation industry, it will be just fine without TC involvement.

There are many issues with Transport Canada today as evidenced by this report (going from 95 to 64 is alarming) and by all the backlog for everything (it takes over a year to get a first medical processed right now, delaying the training of many would-be pilots in the face of an increasing pilot shortage). The degradation is the result of years of neglect and acceptance of lack of funding by ineffective ministers over the past 10-15 years.
Ed McDonald
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: CFPWP
Airports: CFB6

Re: Canada Barely Passes ICAO Audit

Post by Ed McDonald »

The problem with Transport Canada is that they equate the amount of paper with safety…more forms, more documents, more regulations = increased safety. It is not.

As Charles so nicely puts it, safety is an attitude, be it personal or corporate. No amount of SMS or manuals is going to change that.

What keeps industry safe, besides its internal values, is the insurance industry that has serious vested interest in not paying out settlements and they, more than the regulator, drive the safety agenda. My experience with TC is that they are an impediment to safety rather than a facilitator.