Accelerated IFR training in DA40 - recommendations?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Accelerated IFR training in DA40 - recommendations?

Post by Boatguy »

PNWIan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:40 am I used AFIT (sounds like CFIT I know...) in Auburn California last February. I brought my own plane but Mike Poteet has access to another DA40 that some people train in. Mike was a great pilot, a talented teacher and he knew the DA40 well -- it was one of the most fun things I did all year.
I also flew with Mike Poteet and he was excellent!
jbz
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jacob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NOTYET
Airports: KCDA KCDW

Post by jbz »

Thanks everyone for the valuable advice. re: sims - I have built a fairly capable X-Plane 12 setup with SiMIONIC G1000 units (I have a thread about it in the DA40 forum) but I'm being very disciplined about not trying IFR procedures in it until I have instruction because I don't want to learn bad habits I have to unlearn. So perhaps it makes sense to commit to 3 months or so of weekly IR training to 'open up' the material for me (after, of course, as much book larnin' as I can cram in!) and then re-evaluate an accelerated. At the least, the 'finish-up' programs seem to be better spoken of than the 'zero to rating' IR programs, from what I can tell.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

I think a "finish-up" program might be a good approach. My free advice (worth every penny you paid for it) would be something like:
  • Early in the process, fly at least 10 hours under the hood with a safety pilot to dial in your instrument scan and your ability to climb, descend, and maintain speed, altitude, and headings without using the autopilot. Ideally the safety pilot would be IR so he can give you realistic vectors and climb/descent profiles with simultaneous altitude and heading changes. You don't need to spend money flying with a CFII to get really good at flying under the hood.
  • Fly at least once a week (ideally twice) with a good (not all are) local CFII to learn good practices for flying approaches, departures, and communications with ATC.
  • Use your sim to get proficient on the G1000 sequencing for SIDs and approaches. I expect this won't take long.
  • At that point, a 'finish-up' program will probably go much more smoothly than trying to cram it all in using a "zero-to-IFR" program.
Everybody learns differently, so maybe this doesn't fit your learning style, but it's how I would approach it if I had to go through it again.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
danno2000
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N270DS
Airports: KAQW

Post by danno2000 »

jbz wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:02 pm Thanks everyone for the valuable advice. re: sims - I have built a fairly capable X-Plane 12 setup with SiMIONIC G1000 units (I have a thread about it in the DA40 forum) but I'm being very disciplined about not trying IFR procedures in it until I have instruction because I don't want to learn bad habits I have to unlearn. So perhaps it makes sense to commit to 3 months or so of weekly IR training to 'open up' the material for me (after, of course, as much book larnin' as I can cram in!) and then re-evaluate an accelerated. At the least, the 'finish-up' programs seem to be better spoken of than the 'zero to rating' IR programs, from what I can tell.
It all depends on the program. You did the right thing talking to Take Flight and getting a sense of what their program would be like. In fact, it actually depends on the individual instructor you get inside a program.

For what it's worth, I found instrument flying to be far easier than getting my private. I did a two-week intensive class at Aspen Flying Club at Centennial KAPA, and they matched me with a mostly-retired instructor with 30 years experience at Delta and a lot of GA flying for fun/charity after he retired. Two flights a day, and it was my first experience with Diamond aircraft as that had been the reason I picked Aspen. There were certainly frustrations, but it really improved my confidence in my ability to fly. I even got some rare non-icing real IMC flying in the Denver area, plus some fantastic practice flying in the Rockies. Bud passed away a couple years ago or I'd set you up, but I found Aspen to be quite creative in tailoring a program for me as a late-starter (late 40s when I got my instrument rating).

My learning style is that when I commit to something, I want to move forward with it. I found an intensive program to be the best fit with my schedule and my desire to get it done. That sounds like what you want as well - at least that's the sense I got from your original post.

I'd say talk to whoever you'd be doing weekly IR training with and see if they'd come up with a hybrid-accelerated approach for you. Perhaps not every day for two weeks, but maybe three or four lessons a week for a month. If you're getting high-quality instruction, I don't think you need to arbitrarily take more time just because some programs don't do a great job with accelerated training.

good luck,
dan
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

jbz wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:02 pm Thanks everyone for the valuable advice. re: sims - I have built a fairly capable X-Plane 12 setup with SiMIONIC G1000 units (I have a thread about it in the DA40 forum) but I'm being very disciplined about not trying IFR procedures in it until I have instruction because I don't want to learn bad habits I have to unlearn.
I wasn't entirely clear. The 20hrs the FAA allows in a simulator has to be a certified BATD or AATD simulator, with a CFII. But non-certified simulators are great for getting a look at a new airport and its approaches.
jbz
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jacob
Aircraft Registration: NOTYET
Airports: KCDA KCDW

Post by jbz »

Yep to all. My main frustrating blocker - I *cannot* reliably get to an airport more than approximately once every two weeks while I"m in NYC. My life schedule just won't let me for the next six to eight months. This is the primary reason I am looking at accelerated - because I don't want to just 'not fly often enough' and waste money and irritation and time.
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Registration: N172KJ
Airports: KARR

Post by Fred Claus »

I have looked into this too. I trained for my multi with Take Flight and know how you feel about their IFR accelerated course sentiment. They have had a lot of people get their instrument rating, some doing it very quickly. It just isn't common for them due to the intensity.

That aside, I'd suggest you look into AFIT: https://www.afit-info.com/course/ifr-training/

I've strongly considered them and may end up taking that path though I'm also considering doing the slow approach. Look into some of their testimonials. People speak very highly of it once they've gone through the program but they also make sure to stress just how intense that course load is. 10 days to do what takes many people months to years is nothing to overlook. Personally, I perform well under pressure and prefer short term suffering to long term minor discomfort. YMMV.

My two cents is that the PPL opens up the world of aviation to you. Additional ratings make it safer, more fun, more complicated, and a continuous journey. As long as I can fly on my own schedule, I'm not as antsy to get the IR ASAP as I was prior to the PPL freedoms.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

Fred Claus wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:51 pmAs long as I can fly on my own schedule, I'm not as antsy to get the IR ASAP as I was prior to the PPL freedoms.
Besides making you a better pilot and a safer pilot, the IR further broadens your flying world or freedoms. There is frequent overcast where I live. A simple layer of clouds at 2,000' would shut me down, or could mean not getting to my home airport.

I remember racing the overcast one morning on a flight from O69 to KVGT. I could see it coming. I hurried a bit and managed to get into the air while the overcast only covered the first half of the runway. I literally flew just ahead of it and in 3min I was above it and on my way. Delaying my departure by 3min would have meant the trip was a no go.

Or I was doing a Pilots 'n Paws flight to pickup a dog. It was a beautiful clear VMC flight for over an hour, and then the destination airport was overcast 400'. No IR would have meant turning around and going home. Instead I rode the ILS down, picked up the dog, flew the SID out and delivered the dog to its new home.

IR helps you to fly on your own schedule.
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Registration: N172KJ
Airports: KARR

Post by Fred Claus »

I absolutely agree with your reasoning. I think I ought to revise my statement. I’m dead set on getting my instrument rating and don’t want to delay the process at all, exactly for the reasons you just stated. I just tried to rush my PPL because I hated being tied to an instructors schedule on top of the weather. Having the freedom to fly, weather permitting, has been one of the most incredible milestones for me and I’m happy to have the opportunity at all.

The type of flying I plan to do is basically a fools errand without the rating, so I completely understand the desire to want to obtain it quickly.
Jonathan33
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N9544S
Airports: 3M8

Post by Jonathan33 »

I would highly recommend Mid West Corporate Air in Ohio. They have a fleet of DA20, DA40 and DA42. My son just came back after completing: CFI, CFII, ME and MEI. All of this was completed in 1.5 months. The school is very professional. Multiple DPE’s on staff. Can’t say enough good things.

https://midwestcorporateair.com/

Jonathan