In flight cellular connectivity options

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N172KJ
Airports: KARR

In flight cellular connectivity options

Post by Fred Claus »

Hi all, I am in the final stages of ordering a DA62 and was hoping to get insight on potential options for cellular connectivity in flight other than dropping down to 3'000 AGL. Specifically, I am looking for something that will give me phone service but more importantly, the ability to send texts (can be SMS or preferable internet messages like WhatsApp or iMessage). Data for emails/browsing is a bonus but unnecessary. Mostly looking to check in with family/friends during longer cross country flights. Diamond offers Iridium which comes with very high annual costs for the subscribtion (around $2,000). Apart from their standard option, I have found the Honeywell AeroWave X (https://www.edmo.com/about/news/aerowave-x) which seems quite capable but I don't know if it can be installed easily. Then there is the Airtext + option which is probably the most affordable in the long run but also the most limited (https://goairtext.com/products/airtext-2/). Gogo doesn't seem to be available for smaller GA pistons.

Am I missing anything obvious? Is there a clear winner (not just amongst the options I noted)?

Thanks in advance for any input.
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Re: In flight cellular connectivity options

Post by yl472401 »

Following… GA usage of cellular service or satellite service is a unique topic particularly for GA CX pilots that frequently fly higher altitude with no access to cellphone data while en-route. It has the unique challenge of balance between cost to develop and the return of the benefits.
I chatted with the airtext folks at Oshkosh last year and the equipment cost of $18k seems on the high end plus the $$$$ installation cost. What’s the price Tag for the first option you mentioned in the thread ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

The Iridium Go Exec is the only realistic option that will let you use iMessage / WhatsApp. 88kbps download / 22 kbps download, and $4/MB, but absolutely fine for messaging and light browsing.

I have a Go Exec, and the voice quality is great (miles ahead of the original Iridium network). The data is a little lacking, but Iridium is working to send me a test antenna. I'm optimistic that will improve the reception.
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Fred Claus »

yl472401 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:21 pm Following… GA usage of cellular service or satellite service is a unique topic particularly for GA CX pilots that frequently fly higher altitude with no access to cellphone data while en-route. It has the unique challenge of balance between cost to develop and the return of the benefits.
I chatted with the airtext folks at Oshkosh last year and the equipment cost of $18k seems on the high end plus the $$$$ installation cost. What’s the price Tag for the first option you mentioned in the thread ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Diamond installed Iridium is just north of $20k. Then $1,800 - 2,300 per year. So pretty costly to say the least.
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Beyond the cost, it's worth noting that the current iteration of Iridium / Garmin integration uses the legacy Iridium network. The legacy network has limited bandwidth (2.4kbps). Completely unusable for browsing, or even using iMessage / WhatsApp.

Currently the only way to use the next-generation Iridium Certus network is to get an Iridium Go Exec portable unit.
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Fred Claus »

michael.g.miller wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:37 pm The Iridium Go Exec is the only realistic option that will let you use iMessage / WhatsApp. 88kbps download / 22 kbps download, and $4/MB, but absolutely fine for messaging and light browsing.

I have a Go Exec, and the voice quality is great (miles ahead of the original Iridium network). The data is a little lacking, but Iridium is working to send me a test antenna. I'm optimistic that will improve the reception.
Very interesting to hear from a user! $4/MB seems rather high, no? That puts a smartphone photo at $10 per picture (not terrible if you remember what international cell/data rates were just 10 years go), but if a large email file accidentally downloads in the background that can add up. Not trying to squeeze pennies, I suppose just looking for your real life experience on how costs actually shake our with real world usage (of course this will vary dramatically based on hours flown and passengers).
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

It is high, but it is worldwide coverage, even at the poles. Regarding background data, that is not an issue, since the Iridium Go Exec app has "profiles" that you use, to block traffic unless it is going to a specific address. They have profiles for iMessage, WhatsApp, Gmail, etc. So you won't end up using data unnecessarily.

While it is expensive.. being able to download a "Windy" weather radar picture or satellite image can be invaluable, even if it costs $5-10 to do so.

Also worth noting, the cost per MB does go down the more you buy: https://www.satphonestore.com/airtime/i ... -exec.html
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Fred Claus »

Please do give me a ring next time you're flying over one of the poles! I'll run over with some Jet-A so you can get back home ;)

It definitely gives me a lot of comfort hearing your opinion on it. It may be the route I go then, especially considering your note that it is more capable than the legacy hardware installed by Diamond.

Does iMessage work through Apple's native messages app? Or do you need to text through the Iridium Go's app interface?
DaveS1900
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N521DD
Airports: I74 Urbana Ohio

Post by DaveS1900 »

I have Garmin inReach. Satellite based and will work with a view of the sky from the cockpit. It has texting. No talking. Monthly plans start at $15/mo. The device itself cost around $400.

Dave S.
Ohio
Bryce
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryce
Aircraft Registration: N6KB
Airports: KRTS

Post by Bryce »

InReach Mini for me as well. But out west, at 10,000 - 12,000 feet, where I usually fly at, I have cell service 90% of the time.
N6KB DA62 Q3-2023. Now April 2024.
N524HS BE G36 2007 (Sold)
N605CA DA40 2008 (Sold)
KRTS - Reno Stead