3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N687ML
Airports: KEFD

Potential Causes for Coolant Leak inflight

Post by bdbogle »

Christmas Eve at about 8:30pm, I had just flown to Louisiana to drop off my niece and her son and was departing when at about 3000ft on the climb-out, I got a Coolant High-Temp warning. It had blown right through the yellow and was into the red at this time. I pulled the power, leveled off and waited to see what happened - it continued to rise. So before things got any worse, I shut the engine down. There was no Coolant LVL low warning or any indication that the oil temp got high. Engine feathered as expected and I setup for an ILS approach into BTR. Once parked, I restarted the engine and the coolant temp was low as expected after being cooled off for about 20 minutes. Once the coolant got to the normal operating temp, the coolant temp rose very quickly at about 30% power and quickly got into the "warning" area of about 95 degree. I pulled the power back to almost idle and it settled back down after a few seconds. I shut it down and was going to pull the engine covers off. Prior to unbuttoning it, I noticed coolant dripping from the bottom of the cowling. Took everything off and there was coolant from the top of the engine block to parts down low. Something sprung a leak but I couldn't find any indication of a lose clamp, busted cooling hose, or anything else. Engine oil looked normal as well. Ended up renting a car (Thanks to BTR Ops for giving me a ride to the terminal) and driving 3+ hours home.

Any ideas from the DAN brain trust as to what might be the cause? Water Pump failure? Something with the thermostat? Something else? Plane is currently AOG at BTR so hopefully there's someone around that can work on them!
FlyingPenguin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N168PF
Airports: KLGB

Re: Potential Causes for Coolant Leak inflight

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hello bdbogle,

Sorry to hear your problem here. Based on your description, my guess is that you have a stuck thermostat in the closed position, and somehow leaking as well. Not sure about that. Take a look at the location of the thermostat. Would this be the area you noticed coolant on the engine?
Attachments
IMG_8258.png
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

There are a few other threads related to coolant leaks with these engines. Here's one of them.

The more common problems seem to be related to the pressure relief valves or air in the system. Your symptoms seem a bit more serious to me.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
bdbogle
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N687ML
Airports: KEFD

Post by bdbogle »

FlyingPenguin wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:14 am Hello bdbogle,

Sorry to hear your problem here. Based on your description, my guess is that you have a stuck thermostat in the closed position, and somehow leaking as well. Not sure about that. Take a look at the location of the thermostat. Would this be the area you noticed coolant on the engine?
There was a good deal of coolant under the thermostat but I couldn't tell if there was any leaking around it. Though it was a night and it was a bit difficult to see everything clearly. I did get a call from the on field shop and they were closed for this week so we'll find out more in a week or so.
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N172KJ
Airports: KARR

Post by Fred Claus »

Sorry to hear this. You may consider calling the techs at Take Flight aviation. I just had a coolant line blow apart on me a few weeks ago and an accompanying false engine fire indication. They are the ones who fixed it up as it was their plane (311LH). I know this is different but I only mention them because they’re quite well versed in austro engines.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

FlyingPenguin wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:14 am Take a look at the location of the thermostat.
Where did you find that manual? I’d love to have these diagrams.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

I'm not sure if they are still working, but this other thread has some links.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
FlyingPenguin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N168PF
Airports: KLGB

Post by FlyingPenguin »

mfdutra wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:19 am
FlyingPenguin wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:14 am Take a look at the location of the thermostat.
Hello Marlon,

Check your email please.

Thanks!
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Brian, feel free to give me a call. I had a R engine coolant temp master warning in early December (caused me to abort an Angel Flight with passengers as it occurred about 15 minutes after departure from KIWS), which appeared on my investigation to be a sensor-related issue. I took the plane to Premier for annual a few days later and it started out normal but on descent into KFTW the R ENG COOLANT temp spiked again into the red. Haven't heard back from Premier on the cause. I didn't notice any leaking or dripping from the engine even after a few days in the hangar. Your situation sounds different. I didn't shut down the engine (interestingly, the checklist doesn't call for a shutdown - it says to be prepared for an "imminent engine failure").

I've had now 3 sensor failures during my first year of ownership so don't rule out a sensor-related issue. Will be curious as to what you find - nobody is around this week to really do much digging/repairing...

Cheers!
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

mfdutra wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:19 am
The Austro engine documentation and software are now available free of charge with no login required: https://partners.diamondaircraft.com/s/files