DA40NG - not frise type ailerons

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

DA40NG - not frise type ailerons

Post by Guest »

Hello. I posted about aileron paddles and frise type the other day. But I also emailed Diamond support last week. I also specifically asked if DA40NG has frise type ailerons. I got this reponse...

"Both the DA40 NG and DA 42 ailerons dip past the wing skins like you would see in the Frise style ailerons, however we do not define which style of aileron is used in our manuals."

What do you guys think?
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Re: DA40NG - not frise type ailerons

Post by chili4way »

It comes down to whether you consider the answer interesting or informative. What decision (and action selection) does the answer to this question inform, or is it just something interesting to know?

By extending below the wing, the ailerons create form drag and reduce adverse yaw. However, this doesn't remove the need to keep turns coordinated with rudder use.

As to Diamond's answer, their practice is to respond to questions with only what's published in their technical documentation. This keeps things technically (and legally) consistent.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

It’s incredible that someone at DAI support bothered to answer such question.

Post by Guest »

chili4way wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:27 pm It comes down to whether you consider the answer interesting or informative. What decision (and action selection) does the answer to this question inform, or is it just something interesting to know?

By extending below the wing, the ailerons create form drag and reduce adverse yaw. However, this doesn't remove the need to keep turns coordinated with rudder use.

As to Diamond's answer, their practice is to respond to questions with only what's published in their technical documentation. This keeps things technically (and legally) consistent.
Thank you for your response. I really appreciate responses like this that make me thing and have new perspectives on things!