Low Time Insurance Brokers

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N172KJ
Airports: KARR

Low Time Insurance Brokers

Post by Fred Claus »

Hi Everyone, I am looking to get in touch with an insurance broker to insure a DA62. I have searched for brokers others use(d) and have attached that list below. I am wondering if there is a consensus on who people tend to really enjoy working with? It seems from recent posts, there is a bit of a convergence towards Ryan Konrath at Wings. I spoke with Stephen Winters at EBCO and he seems like a great guy with 23 years of experience and not even a trace of trying to push the sale or relationship. He recommended I speak with everyone I can find to form my own opinion of who I'd like to work with... That is a high quality recommendation at his own expense, which shines a positive light on him from my point of view. That said, if Ryan K. or others have deeper relationships with underwriters and can thereby get more flexibility out of them, that is really important.

For reference, I am a very low hour private pilot (~100 hours), so getting insured at all will be the biggest hurdle, then comes the gut-punch of a premium that would follow if I even can get insured. AOPA said it'd be impossible. Stephen said it'd almost certainly be possible, recommended serveral avenues, and was transparent that it would be >$50K per year until I get instrument rated and over 100 hours in the seat of a DA62.

Brokers:
- AOPA
- AVEMCO
- Victoria Neuville: vneuville@air-pros.com Air Pros (Colin)
- Norcom: Sue Bonin at 201-906-0641 (cptndavid)
- Travers Insurance: Lisa Hitti, 314-963-9080
- Ryan Konrath at Wings Insurance, rkonrath@wingsinsurance.com Direct: 952.641.3152 Mobile: 651.253.3844 (MackAttack)
- True Course Aviation in Camarillo, CA (airbrett_)
- Avquest (BoatGuy)
- Eastern Aviation Insurance/Aerovon (caseyayers)
- Stephen Winters: EBCO Aviation
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Low Time Insurance Brokers

Post by CFIDave »

Especially if they work for a Diamond distributor, aircraft sales brokers typically have pre-existing relationships with insurance brokers who understand Diamonds and/or have experience in working with low-time pilots. They may also have an idea of which insurance underwriters are more likely to insure a low-time pilot in a DA62.

So to arrange insurance, discuss your situation with the aircraft sales broker who's trying to sell you the DA62 you hope to insure -- and let them help by referring you to an insurance broker. Obviously if you can't get insured, the aircraft sales broker won't earn a sales commission on your purchase of a DA62. Aircraft sales brokers thus have a strong financial incentive to recommend an insurance broker who can address difficult situations like yours.

(Besides being a Diamond owner, I used to be involved in aircraft sales with a Diamond distributor, assisting pilots with financing/insurance/training/etc. Now I'm just a pilot. :) )
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Fred Claus »

Thank you, Dave. Travers & Associates is recommended by Premier, so perhaps a good avenue to explore as well.

Stephen Winters has a reputation for helping people out with unusual scenarios. He insures a 19/20 year old (Nickandsteve) albeit with IR/Commercial ratings, and 800+ hours. User Nickandsteve spoke very highly of him. I spoke with Ryan Konrath as well and he echoed what Stephen said in that there are two providers who would surely pick me up, but it would come at a steep premium. Having a broker who considers you a person, not a paycheck, is something I look for, which is what drives my curiosity on whether there is a convergence towards a specific brokerage or broker here on the forum.
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

Lifestyle steered me to Travers when I purchased 812LA.... I had 67 logged hrs!!! 3 years, 500hrs, IFR and commercial added, my premiums are dropping nicely.
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Fred Claus »

Thanks Steve. I’ll probably use Travers. I just don’t like not having a dedicated rep but oh well, they know diamonds better than almost any broker.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Brokers are brokers, not insurers. Any broker should be able to request a quote from every insurer out there. What you really want to identify is the insurers that write policies on the DA62.

Being over 70 with low ME time, all of the insurers my broker contacted declined to quote at all, with the exception of the insurer for my 40NG who quoted $70K which I interpreted as a polite way of saying "decline to quote". I inquired here in DAN, identified an insurer, and asked my broker to contact London Aviation Underwriters (aka LAU) who then gave me coverage for $30K which I hope will be less this year when I renew.