5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Oil filter

Post by Steve »

dmloftus wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:03 am
mhoran wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:51 pm As an alternative to the Tempest torque wrench (which is a great single purpose tool) I recommend https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/to ... -12376.php which works with any torque wrench and fits just fine in our tight engine compartment.
How do you use a standard torque wrench work with the offset on this wrench? Torque is calculated with force x distance, the offset would throw off the setting on the torque wrench.
You can use an adapter like that - if it is positioned perpendicular to the torque wrench, the reading will be accurate. I have a special adapter like this for torquing the propeller bolts, and it works fine. Of course, fitting that arrangement in the confines of the small space between the firewall and filter, with motor mounts in the way could prove frustrating. Hence, the 3/4 turn method. If you really want to use a torque wrench on the filter, I would get the preset model made for the oil filter...
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Re: Oil filter

Post by mhoran »

As Steve says you can either position it perpendicular or you can calculate the effect of the extension on the torque and adjust accordingly. We used to do the 3/4 turn method, then I got myself a nice torque wrench and picked up the adapter. Haven't had any issues fitting it in the engine compartment. It's tight but it works -- really no different than the regular wrench used to remove the filter. The Tempest wrench is certainly easier if you want a specialty tool.