No Part Available!

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Aparker
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Andy
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N400MN
Airports: Kpmp

No Part Available!

Post by Aparker »

Just purchased a DA-62. Ferried to the USA from Austria. Currently have 60 hours on the plane and it has been in for repair 3 times (ECU, Power adjustment, and now defective Flap motor DAI-9027-50-01). I am now informed by Premier Aircraft in Florida that there are no Flap Motors available. Aircraft unairworthy. Premier has been very professional, responsive, courteous and understanding... but they can't manufacture parts. Ladies and gentlemen, what is going on here? What should I be doing to get the parts to make my plane airworthy?
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Re: No Part Available!

Post by dant »

I would have expected Premier to have put in an AOG order with Diamond, who would then find a flap motor and expedite the shipping from Austria. If there aren't any in Austria then you are a bit S.O.L... but then that also means DAI isn't producing any DA-62s right now, so I assume they are working on the problem.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

You have to advocate for yourself. Once you have purchased your airplane, the Diamond distributors have no use for you. You are AOG. Assume nothing.

Ray Kolyn is the head of after sales support for Diamond Canada: r.kolyn@diamondaircraft.com
Diamond Canada Support: support-canada@diamondaircraft.com
Diamond AOG support: aog@diamondaircraft.com ‭(519) 457-4041‬

Call Diamond Canada, 800-268-4001 and ask for Kevin Sheng - CEO of Diamond Canada.

Call them all, every day, until you get your part.

It is very unfortunate that after four years of push by Diamond owners, Diamond has been unwilling to establish a parts depot for U.S. customers. When you spend $1.5M for an airplane, it's tragic that rather than being treated like a valuable customer, you must become a pushy advocate for yourself to get your plane back in the air. It's degrading to owners who have literally spent millions of dollars to have to resort to this. Why do we get better support for an $800 telephone than we do for a $1.5M airplane? But it is what it is. If you want to get back in the air, you have to advocate for yourself.

Squeaky wheel get the grease.

Fortunately, once the "infant mortality" and poor manufacturing quality control issues are resolved (6-18 months), it's a wonderful airplane.

Best of luck.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

By no means an expert, but looking at the IPC, the DA62 Flap Motor Assembly looks identical to that in the DA40. The P/Ns are also almost the same:

DA62: D67-2753-10-00
DA40: D4-2753-10-00

It might be possible to substitute the DA40 part temporarily, until the DA62 part becomes available. I have seen these on eBay from salvage yards, and while not a perfect solution, might be able to get your aircraft flying again. I actually have the DA40 part I bought as a spare - if Diamond says it can be substituted, I would be happy to lend it to you...
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Airports:

Post by Karl »

Aparker wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:57 am Just purchased a DA-62. Ferried to the USA from Austria. Currently have 60 hours on the plane and it has been in for repair 3 times (ECU, Power adjustment, and now defective Flap motor DAI-9027-50-01). I am now informed by Premier Aircraft in Florida that there are no Flap Motors available. Aircraft unairworthy. Premier has been very professional, responsive, courteous and understanding... but they can't manufacture parts. Ladies and gentlemen, what is going on here? What should I be doing to get the parts to make my plane airworthy?
What is wrong with it ? 99% of the time its just a micro switch issue.
Aparker
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Andy
Aircraft Registration: N400MN
Airports: Kpmp

Post by Aparker »

Hi Karl:
Thanks for your reply. As a follow up to my part issue, Diamond Austria, Canada, and Premier Aircraft in South Florida teamed up to acquire a new Flap Control Motor Unit for my DA-62. I must admit that the response to my issue, although slow initially, was professional and on target. Karl, from what Diamond first thought, surely a micro switch... but upon further investigation it was a defective Flap motor DAI-9027-50-01. The culprit was a loose wire connection inside of this sealed unit. Very unusual they stated. Hats off to Sam tavarez from Premier Aircraft and Ray Kolyn Diamond Canada for their help with my issue. To be honest, this is my 3rd issue in the last 3 months. Hopefully the kinks have been worked out and smooth flying ahead.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Did you dodge the engine MSB?
Aparker
1 Diamond Member