5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: MSB-E4-042 - Crankshaft-bearing cap screws replacement

Post by ememic99 »

Avgas future In Europe is quite blurry these days, besides being much more expensive than Jet A1.
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

Post by alanhawse »

dmloftus wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:53 pm
Donkadillapig wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:17 am ... Could any of us seriously recommend an Austro engine to a first-time aircraft owner at the moment? ...
Unfortunately for Diamond, they are making Cirrus's decision to remain with avgas on single pistons look better everyday. I love my XLS and while it certainly runs me a lot more per hour than rental 172's, I value being the sole owner. I still highly recommend an avgas DA40 to a first-time wannabe owner. But these bad surprises give me pause on my plans of upgrading to a DA50 or DA62 until their frequency subsides.
Emacs/vi
45/9
windows/mac
Python/Ruby
blondes/brunettes
Ford/GM
Ferrari/Porsche

And... if you don't know the answers, Emacs, 45, Python, Brunette, Neither, Porsche
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

alanhawse wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:49 pm
dmloftus wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:53 pm
Donkadillapig wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:17 am ... Could any of us seriously recommend an Austro engine to a first-time aircraft owner at the moment? ...
Unfortunately for Diamond, they are making Cirrus's decision to remain with avgas on single pistons look better everyday. I love my XLS and while it certainly runs me a lot more per hour than rental 172's, I value being the sole owner. I still highly recommend an avgas DA40 to a first-time wannabe owner. But these bad surprises give me pause on my plans of upgrading to a DA50 or DA62 until their frequency subsides.
Emacs/vi
45/9
windows/mac
Python/Ruby
blondes/brunettes
Ford/GM
Ferrari/Porsche

And... if you don't know the answers, Emacs, 45, Python, Brunette, Neither, Porsche
And what about Windows/Mac?
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Mac.
pete423
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N168
Airports: KEMT

Post by pete423 »

For those of you who is in group 2 with a single engine, ie DA40NG, do you feel safe flying in it until the next scheduled service? If those bolts fail I would assume it will be a complete engine failure in flight. I would normally say they are the manufacture, and they know what they are doing. But Diamond has completely lost my trust. I can understand the issue with the oil pump, HPP pump, and piston issues due to the complexity of those parts and tight tolerance. But I cannot comprehend the rationale to save a few dollars for using bolts that is inadequate. The replacement 12.9 bolts are 50% stronger than the original 8.8 bolts. The cost saving for the six bolts was give or take $10.00. Someone at Diamond made that decision. And now these are the same people that is telling me it is ok to fly the plane until the next service. :roll:
YokotaFTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: DScot
Aircraft Registration: N138UA
Airports: RJTY

Post by YokotaFTC »

pete423 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:28 am For those of you who is in group 2 with a single engine, ie DA40NG, do you feel safe flying in it until the next scheduled service? If those bolts fail I would assume it will be a complete engine failure in flight. I would normally say they are the manufacture, and they know what they are doing. But Diamond has completely lost my trust. I can understand the issue with the oil pump, HPP pump, and piston issues due to the complexity of those parts and tight tolerance. But I cannot comprehend the rationale to save a few dollars for using bolts that is inadequate. The replacement 12.9 bolts are 50% stronger than the original 8.8 bolts. The cost saving for the six bolts was give or take $10.00. Someone at Diamond made that decision. And now these are the same people that is telling me it is ok to fly the plane until the next service. :roll:
Glad I'm not the only one having those thoughts...but I'm the A&P...not sure my instructor staff has, they're ecstatic to be flying til we hit the "next scheduled maint" 100Hr time...there's gotta be a reason for the separation of engines... I HOPE....they are the "engineers"....right? :scratch:
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

Post by alanhawse »

Boatguy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:18 amMac.
Mac...

Totally.
FlyingPenguin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N168PF
Airports: KLGB

Post by FlyingPenguin »

pete423 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:28 am … But Diamond has completely lost my trust. I can understand the issue with the oil pump, HPP pump, and piston issues due to the complexity of those parts and tight tolerance. But I cannot comprehend the rationale to save a few dollars for using bolts that is inadequate. The replacement 12.9 bolts are 50% stronger than the original 8.8 bolts. The cost saving for the six bolts was give or take $10.00. Someone at Diamond made that decision. And now these are the same people that is telling me it is ok to fly the plane until the next service. :roll:
I understand how you feel, but I hope Austro gets lots of votes still.
Attachments
IMG_8767.png
pete423
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N168
Airports: KEMT

Post by pete423 »

Here is a picture of the repair kit. My service center does not believe it can be done without pulling out the engine. They will do a partial engine removal by lifting it high enough to access the oil pan but not completely so they don't have to remove the harness. They have about six engine lined up to do in the next few weeks. Majority are brand new engines that they just installed. They also have to install them on a few brand new engine that is still in the crate. The earliest they can schedule me in is about a month out.
Attachments
IMG_0418.jpg
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

rH4kaxvZT0W7qh14nRY0Hw.jpg
You can see that the oil sump is pretty well exposed already thanks to the way the engine sits angled in the frame. I'm curious how they plan to lift that side of the engine. There are lifting eyelets shown in the maintenance manual but looking all over I couldn't find them.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22