Diamond China announce its own 'independently designed' domestic aircraft diesel engine, the 'AEC2.0L'

Discussions specific to Austro engines

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

RookieFlyer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ken
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NIL
Airports: NZAR

Diamond China announce its own 'independently designed' domestic aircraft diesel engine, the 'AEC2.0L'

Post by RookieFlyer »

While perusing the Crankshaft-bearing cap screws replacement MSB, I noticed there were two manufacturers listed: Austro Engine GmbH, and Wuhu Diamond Aeroengine Co. Ltd

Digging a little deeper I found on a Chinese tech website (https://www.shulou.com/a565991) a very recent article heralding the immanent certification of a new independently Chinese designed diesel aircraft engine:

"Wuhu! The first domestic general-purpose aircraft equipped with domestic AEC2.0L aero-engine, CA42, successfully tested flight."

"...February 18, Wuhu, Anhui announced that the AEC2.0L piston engine, the first domestic civil aircraft piston engine to carry out airworthiness certification in the China Civil Aviation Airworthiness Certification Center, has successfully verified its compression ignition capability and high-altitude start-up ability, thus completing various established capability verification projects for airworthiness certification.

According to reports, China's first general-purpose aircraft equipped with domestic AEC2.0L aero-engine, CA42, successfully completed its test flight on February 16.

It is worth mentioning that the Chinese-made AEC2.0L aero-engine was carried in the domestic civil navigable aircraft CA42 independently designed and manufactured by China Electric Power Wuhu Diamond aircraft Manufacturing Co., Ltd. Such a "double domestic" match is the first time in the domestic civil aviation industry.

In order to ensure the sufficient safety and reliability of the engine in flight, the flight test is divided into several height points, which has the characteristics of long preparation period, many limiting factors, difficult operation and so on. The purpose of this paper is to verify the compression ignition ability and restart ability of the AEC2.0L engine in the air, and fully prove that the domestic civil aviation piston engine can meet the needs of modern civil aviation.

"this engine is developed independently by Chinese enterprises, and its comprehensive performance is comparable to the international first-class level, and it has also broken the foreign monopoly in one fell swoop!" Hou Xiaoyu, deputy director of the system approval room of China Civil Aviation Airworthiness Accreditation Center, said.

Jiao Yanbin, deputy general manager of Wuhu Diamond Aeroengine Co., Ltd., said that the engine has solved a series of "sticking neck" problems of software and hardware key technology. this is also a "summary test" of domestic civil aviation piston engines from conception to drawing data to finished products, which fully proves that domestic civil aviation piston engines can fully meet the needs of modern navigation."

The only picture I could find came from (https://m.youuav.com/sell/detail/202308/10/33434.html) and clearly shows a similarity to an Austro design.
202308100900397179.png
This webpage also trumpets:

"The AEC2.0L aviation piston engine has obtained the type certificate (TC certificate) in accordance with CCAR-33. The engine has high rated power and strong power; High reliability, TBO is not less than 2000 hours; Superior performance and adaptability. It is China's first aviation piston engine independently developed and completed the whole process of airworthiness, which can provide a strong "Chinese heart" for domestic and foreign general aviation aircraft."

In the past I've heard a little about Diamond's Chinese ownership supposably associated with private enterprise company 'Wanfeng Auto Holding Group Co. Ltd'.

However, digging a little deeper on "Wuhu Diamond Aeroengine Co.', I cannot find any mention of Wanfeng, instead it appears to be a subsidiary of an umbrella company 'CETC Diamond Aircraft R&D Institute', along with two other subsidiaries, 'CETC Wuhu Diamond Aircraft Manufacture Co., Ltd', and 'CETC Special Mission Aircraft Systems Engineering Co., Ltd'.

CETC here (short for China Electronics Technology Corporation) is listed as "As one of China’ s top state-own large enterprise groups", so is clearly CCP owned and controlled. There appears no mention of the WanFeng Group with any of the Diamond China connected businesses.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Diamond China announce its own 'independently designed' domestic aircraft diesel engine, the 'AEC2.0L'

Post by CFIDave »

Great research: this announcement certainly raises lots of questions.

AEC2.0L engine: AEC = Austro Engine China?
CA42 aircraft: DA42 produced in China? It would make sense for a first flight of a new engine to take place in a twin-engined aircraft rather than a single.

The engine in the picture looks somewhat similar to an Austro AE300/330, but has significant differences in components and their placement. I'm guessing this is a re-design of the Austro engine that's unconstrained by the original Austro engine's certification, using mostly Chinese parts.

But the biggest issue you raised is: What is the relationship between the companies listed in this announcement and Diamond Aircraft owner WanFeng Group? Could the AEC2.0L engine eventually replace Austro engines in new Diamond Austria/Canada aircraft?
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: Diamond China announce its own 'independently designed' domestic aircraft diesel engine, the 'AEC2.0L'

Post by ememic99 »

CFIDave wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:36 pm
Could the AEC2.0L engine eventually replace Austro engines in new Diamond Austria/Canada aircraft?
I’m not sure if I’d sit behind this engine.
RookieFlyer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by RookieFlyer »

CFIDave wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:36 pm Great research: this announcement certainly raises lots of questions.

AEC2.0L engine: AEC = Austro Engine China?
CA42 aircraft: DA42 produced in China? It would make sense for a first flight of a new engine to take place in a twin-engined aircraft rather than a single.

The engine in the picture looks somewhat similar to an Austro AE300/330, but has significant differences in components and their placement. I'm guessing this is a re-design of the Austro engine that's unconstrained by the original Austro engine's certification, using mostly Chinese parts.

But the biggest issue you raised is: What is the relationship between the companies listed in this announcement and Diamond Aircraft owner WanFeng Group? Could the AEC2.0L engine eventually replace Austro engines in new Diamond Austria/Canada aircraft?

During my research I did find a CETC Diamond pdf brochure (dated 20 Dec 2017) on their company webserver (which I've attached). This is where I gleaned the structure of CETC's Diamond businesses. It states the businesses were incorporated in 2013 thus well predating Wanfeng's acquisitions of Diamond's Canadian and Austrian businesses during 2017. Here CETC Diamond claimed a strategic partnership with Diamond Austria as an authorized agent, so Christian Dries was certainly involved with sanctioning the original 2013 CETC relationship.

Dries is on record that he saw China as a means to grow Diamond's business and I've recently found the original Diamond press release establishing their joint venture with Shandong Bin Ao Aircraft Industries in 2006, to build up to 500 DA40 in China per year. However, according to Wikipedia, EASA revoked the factory's avionics component airworthiness certificates in Oct 2019, so whether Shandong Bin Ao are still manufacturing a derived Chinese-only DA40 I haven't yet determined.

Another article I did find (then lost the source of) was a 2013 interview with then new CEO of CETC Diamond Aircraft Manufacturing. Paraphrasing from memory, he said the initial productions were going to be exclusively for airline pilot training, since GA and GA airports were [then] nearly practically non-existent in China. However, he did mention government policy to establish 500 GA airports and that CETC's intended goal was to eventually to reduce the cost of a Diamond aircraft to perhaps one-fifth of its [then] current certified cost(!), at which point he said any Chinese person should be able to afford one.

I can't find any evidence that prior to or since Wanfeng's Diamond acquisitions that they've established their own Diamond aircraft manufacturing facilities. While conjecture on my part, I'm guessing the Diamond acquisitions could have been a joint strategic action of Wanfeng and the State-owned CETC Diamond businesses to gain full ownership and access to Diamond's IP, with the ultimate intention of reverse-engineering out the western technology and sidestepping certification requirements.

As you point out Dave, the AEC2.0L is highly likely a product of this intention, and I'd bet also includes the ECU's. I wonder if the ""sticking neck" problems of software and hardware key technology" also includes fully substituting out the avionics? Interesting the stated intention of the AEC2.0L is for "domestic and foreign general aviation aircraft".

Out of interest, does anyone know who currently produces the castings and associated mechanical components for the Austro (and AEC?) engines?

15137400835143cxlbo.pdf
(3.06 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
RookieFlyer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by RookieFlyer »

RookieFlyer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:55 am
I can't find any evidence that prior to or since Wanfeng's Diamond acquisitions that they've established their own Diamond aircraft manufacturing facilities.

Well, I was quite wrong. On the contrary it appears that both Wanfeng and CETC Diamond have been plenty busy with their respective Diamond manufacturing activities: (no time for those peaky Westerners wanting their Phase 3 G1000nxi - we're too busy developing our own Chinese avionics...)

https://www.yicaiglobal.com/news/wanfen ... lion-plant

https://chinaplus.cri.cn/news/china/9/2 ... 390_4.html

https://www.keymilitary.com/article/dia ... inas-ta-20

https://www.asianmilitaryreview.com/201 ... ner-flies/

https://thestreetjournal.org/chinese-ow ... re-planes/

http://qingdao.chinadaily.com.cn/2023-0 ... 884715.htm

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/wanfe ... ccounter=1
Last edited by RookieFlyer on Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RookieFlyer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by RookieFlyer »

CFIDave wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:36 pm
But the biggest issue you raised is: What is the relationship between the companies listed in this announcement and Diamond Aircraft owner WanFeng Group?

"Wuhu-Made Diamond Aircraft to Take Off in 2016
By Arain Ni, China Aviation Daily | Mar. 18, 2015

CETC Wuhu Diamond Aircraft Manufacture Co., Ltd. a joint venture between China Electronics Technology Group Corporation (CETC) and Wuhu city, has been awarded production authority for Diamond DA42 and 2-seat DV20E multi-purpose light aircraft, which is aiming to produce up to 400 aircraft annually and will deliver the first Wuhu-made aircraft in next June.

CETC and Austrian light aircraft constructor Diamond Aircraft Industries signed a cooperation agreement to make light planes in Wuhu in February 2013. Currently, the company is building a 33,000-square-meter plant, which will be completed main body in June and put into trial production by the end of this year.

The four-seat DA42 MPP Guardian and two-seat DV20E Katana light will also be manufactured at the facility in Wuhu city - located in the eastern province of Anhui.

With an investment of 300 million yuan, the company has also teamed up with Austrian aero-engine producer Austro Engine GmbH to produce a range of propulsion systems, including the 168 hp AE300 turboprop engines for the DA42 MPP Guardian.

In addition to the Diamond Project, Wuhu Aviation Industrial Park signed a total of nine projects last year, covering the whole general aviation industry, valued at 3.6 billion yuan."
RookieFlyer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by RookieFlyer »

CFIDave wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:36 pm Great research: this announcement certainly raises lots of questions.
[snip]
Could the AEC2.0L engine eventually replace Austro engines in new Diamond Austria/Canada aircraft?

Well, the plot thickens - I found an article from the China Daily from 2016. Could the newly announced AEC2.0L be the result of this agreement?

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/ ... 551673.htm

Chery Auto to develop aircraft engine for Austrian firm

Updated: 2016-02-19 09:19

HEFEI - Chinese auto maker Chery Automobile Co said Thursday it has signed a deal to develop an aircraft engine for Austria's Austro Engine and China's CETC Wuhu Diamond Aircraft Engine.

The engine will replace Austro Engine's current model on light aircraft DA40 and Da42 made by Austria's Diamond Aircraft and its Chinese partner, CETC Wuhu Diamond Aircraft, said Jin Gebo, Chery's assistant general manager.

The main parts will be produced in Chery's factories in Wuhu, Anhui province, where it is headquartered, and the engines will also be assembled there, said Jin.

As a major auto maker in China, Chery has developed and produced more than 20 car engines.

It has exported more than 300,000 engines to customers in countries including the United States, Italy and Japan.

Chery sold 550,100 vehicles last year, up 8.3 percent year on year. It remained the country's largest auto exporter for the 13th consecutive year with sales of 87,000 vehicles.
RookieFlyer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by RookieFlyer »

Apologies if others have already seen this - an article from UK Flyer Magazine, April 2022 (which I'd not seen before) has some interesting comments from Diamond CEO Frank Zhang about their future engine production projections:

https://flyer.co.uk/diamond-eyes-huge-r ... r-by-2024/

Diamond eyes huge rise to 500 aircraft deliveries a year by 2024

27 April 2022

Diamond Aircraft expects to be delivering more than 500 aircraft a year within two years, as a new manufacturing facility opens in China to complement existing plants in Austria and Canada.

That’s double what Diamond is producing at the moment – 240 aircraft in 2021 with 300 expected in 2022 – but CEO Frank Zhang says current orders have already filled production capacity for this year and next.

All models in the Diamond range are experiencing increased demand. The two-seat DA20 is back in production, the DA50 RG is expected to receive US type certification by the end of this year and 40 will have been delivered by the end of 2022, and the top of the range DA62 twin also has a two-year waiting list for new aircraft.

“Two years is too long,” said Mr Zhang at AERO Friedrichshafen earlier today. He also confirmed that more orders were coming from private owners to match training fleets 50/50.

The booming order book is also reflected in demand for Austro engines, a Diamond subsidiary also acquired by Chinese owner Wanfeng when it took over in 2017. Austro produced 367 engines in 2017, which will rise to 800 by the end of 2022 and an expected 1,280 engines a year by 2024.

Diamond also buys CD-300 engines from Continental Aerospace Technologies for the DA50 RG, and that engine has just received a welcome boost in its Time Before Replacement (TBR) limit, from 1,200 to 2,000 hours. The separate gearbox limit of 600 hours has also risen to ‘on condition’.

Mr Zhang attributes the rise in demand to the company’s global outlook in terms of suppliers, but also the ‘local for local’ philosphy for production; ie, manufacture aircraft where they are expected to be sold.

In response to a question about Aircraft On Ground (AOG) parts supply, Diamond’s service manager said the current levy on parts for AOG aircraft was an ’emergency situation’ while they build up the logistics side to cope with growing numbers of aircraft in the worldwide fleet. This would be dropped as soon as they can meet demand.
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

RookieFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:49 pm In response to a question about Aircraft On Ground (AOG) parts supply, Diamond’s service manager said the current levy on parts for AOG aircraft was an ’emergency situation’ while they build up the logistics side to cope with growing numbers of aircraft in the worldwide fleet. This would be dropped as soon as they can meet demand.
2 years later, I guess we're still in an "emergency situation."
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

RookieFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:30 pmThe engine will replace Austro Engine's current model on light aircraft DA40 and Da42 made by Austria's Diamond Aircraft and its Chinese partner, CETC Wuhu Diamond Aircraft, said Jin Gebo, Chery's assistant general manager.

The main parts will be produced in Chery's factories in Wuhu, Anhui province, where it is headquartered, and the engines will also be assembled there, said Jin.
This could be another reason why Austro stopped providing overhauls of AE300/AE330 engines and only offers total engine replacement, i.e., changing 1800 hours TBO to 1800 hours TBR. But substituting the AEC2.0L for the AE300 engine family on Diamonds would require re-certifying the DA40NG/DA42NG-VI/DA62 airframes -- probably at considerable expense.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI