Checklists and procedure plates

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Checklists and procedure plates

Post by Boatguy »

Picking up a digression in another thread, how do you see/use your checklist(s) and procedure (SID, STAR, approach) plates?

And for professional pilots, presumably in a two pilot cockpit, tell us how you do it at work versus in your own plane. If you work in a single pilot cockpit, that would also be interesting.

Some of the choices are:
  • G1000 MFD
    Paper
    Checklist app on iPad
    PDF on iPad

iPad on kneeboard
    iPad on mount closer to eye level
    or ??
This is my setup:

Checklists
- MiraCheck (w/o voice) on iPad mini for my preflight.
- MiraCheck (w/o voice) on an iPad mini on the factory mount at eye level for Start through Shutdown. Items are checked off, and Yes/No branching in MiraCheck controlled with a Bluetooth "button" mounted just behind the throttles.

Procedure plates
- iPad mini on a kneeboard
Johnrschaefer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N669PS
Airports: KJYO

Re: Checklists and procedure plates

Post by Johnrschaefer »

Laminated checklists. SID&STAR on iPad (rarely get SID or STAR). Approach plates on G1000 MFD.

ForeFlight on the iPad has let me down a couple of times. On a beautiful VFR day, I got the leg home after a morning flight for breakfast, and IMC was far from my mind. But unexpected and unforecast IMC was not far along my route (a low cloud layer had developed, requiring an instrument approach to my home airport although nice "VFR over the top" much of the way)! When I went to access the approach plate, ForeFlight refused to display it (didn't "pack" for the trip, because VFR forecast). Got down through a hole in the cloud layer and landed, updated ForeFlight, filed to my home base and was back on my way. First thing I did back home was order the FlightCharts for G1000. Now the iPad generally lives on the floor in front of my seat, as a backup, after I've copied my flight plan into the G1000.
bayareacfi
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N264LA
Airports: KHWD

Post by bayareacfi »

Paper checklists, ipad for plates/maps/etc. As noted in the other thread, I hold the chart/plate/checklist up to the panel when using it so I can scan instruments at the same time. That resolves a lot of issues with missing your scan and/or disorientation by moving your head around while in IMC.

Re foreflight and packing, I have it always download the entire US map/plate/etc so packing is never necessary. I do this on both ipad and iphone so I have a backup.
Ed McDonald
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: CFPWP
Airports: CFB6

Post by Ed McDonald »

Laminated checklist - not a lot of need to refer to checklists during critical phases of flight.
Foreflight charts on an iPad Mini using the mounts on the A frame with a Pivot Mount and the FS510 providing a moving map display on the plates for SID’s, STAR’s, approaches, taxi charts, etc. it is on the same eye level as the PFD so no need to look down to refocus and potentially get disoriented. If someone is in the right seat, a full size iPad with a Pivot Mount on the other side. The iPad Mini nicely covers the anti-ice and ECU panel and the iPad the circuit breaker panel.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Everything on iPad Pro 11 and iPhone as backup. iPhone at eye level and iPad as close to eye level as possible without blocking visibility to the panel or out the canopy. iPad is in a position where it can be seen and manipulated by either front seat occupant. Both are easily included in scanning the usual stuff in the panel.

I don't see a reason to use Foreflight packing for maps, procedures, etc. My standard load (I live in Oregon) is the Rocky Mountain States - Montana down to New Mexico - and West to the Pacific Ocean. The only reason I don't always load the entire US is simply the long download time at update time. Especially on the VFR chart update cycles. It doesn't take up all that much storage on the i-thingees.

Neither device ever overheats in flight due to their mounting position.

I've been flying long enough and haven't lost my memory of the "old days" of fumbling with paper charts and plates while flying the plane - sans autopilot. At Night. In turbulence. And kneepads of any configuration interfering with control movement.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

In single pilot environment I use checklists on G1000 MFD and I have laminated ones as a backup. Plates are in ForeFlight on glare shield mounted iPad with iPhone as a backup.

In multi pilot environment checklists are laminated (according to SOP) while the plates are in ForeFlight on two iPads mounted in each pilot’s forward field of vision. Normal checklists are Do and Read while Abnormal checklists are Memory items followed by Read and Do.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

I currently use a laminated checklist. Approach plates and charts are on an iPad mini mounted to upper left side of glare shield with FliteCharts on G1000 as backup if the iPad dies. I use a mini ZuluWorks kneeboard for taking down any notes, writing out clearances, etc.

I'd like to transition to electronic in-flight checklists on the iPad mini or G1000 MFD, but haven't spent any time on it yet. I'd probably still use the laminated one for pre-flight checks since carrying an iPad around while juggling a GATS jar, flashlight, etc. doesn't sound like a great idea given my propensity to drop things.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

Standard iPad on lap for maps and charts (used to use a Mini but sometimes labels in small typeface in Foreflight are just too small to see) with an Apple Pencil for clearances/ATIS/map notations, Checkmate laminated checklists, G1000 checklists are available but never used. I also have some very detailed IFR checklists that I created years ago that I have downloaded on the iPad for reference.
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

David, can you share your very detailed ifr checklists?
antoinemo
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Registration: N949KC
Airports: KCDW

Post by antoinemo »

I am loyal to a laminated checklist, and ended up designing my own. I found it to be a great way to build familiarity with the airplane while incorporating extra items here and there, and keeping aircraft parameters and airspeeds easy to access. I like the smaller format so I can bring the checklist up to the panel while running a checklist.

For plates, I use an iPad Mini for initial briefing of the plate without a mount, and then use the chart on the G1000 for reference.